Teaching the family!!! So Excited!!!

My husband's Aunt & cousin want to learn how to crochet! :hook I am very excited that they asked me! I tried to teach them once before but I think I was over zealous and tried to get them to learn everything all at once. :think This time I was planning on starting them off with a simple chain / slip stitch only pattern to make a scrunchie. On the second lesson I was thinking I would show them sc & dc. Is this a good enough start? I would love suggestions on other first time projects! They want to make doilies and ghans, :eek but I think that is where I made my mistake last time, going too fast. Thanks!!!

Mary <><

I am just offering my 2 bits: Crocheting into a foundation chain is not the easiest thing for a beginner to do. I always suggest to those who are learning that they make a ring, and dc into that to start off. A slip st is also not the easiest st to start off with. In fact, I feel there is no need to follow ascending order while learning crochet (just because sl st is the smallest doesn't mean it has to be learned first, nor does it have to be followed by learning sc) , better to start in the easiest way: make a few ch, join ( one unavoidable sl st there), dc into the ring adequate number of times, ( a dc is no harder than an sc, and much more satisfying, since it is a longer st, and you feel you are making good progress), join with another sl st, and make a few more rounds increasing according to the circle formula. When it is coaster size, make a simple scallop edging, and your students will have learned a lot, and got a useful finished item, too.

Archived