Does anyone have these books? Dover needlework series.

Jens

I just bought a couple of books online. One of them I had checked out from the library and liked and the other I liked the cover! It's called Filet Crochet projects and Charted designs edited by Mrs F.W. Kettelle it's in the Dover Needlework series Anyway I started a graph of a peacock. Really pretty and I thought slightly larger than the other stuff I've done. There is a pic of it finished in the book and they put it on a pillow. So I thought it was pillow size. After doing all 127 open meshes and a few rows it's more of the sizeof of a small table clothe. I am using size 30 thread and a size 11/!2 hook. My crochet I think is tight. Am I doing something wrong or did they mess up the pattern? Has anyone else had this type of trouble? The other things I have been making have been true to size. ??? I don't mind making something big but I wanted to finish it for my mother for mother's day now i'm not sure if that's possible....

Jen

No I think think so....there are no directions just the chart it says 127 x 178 meshes. (under the chart)

Then under the pic of the pillow it says " In this pillow the crochet is done with No. 30 Cordonnet crochet cotton and No 11 hook and is inserted in a narrow frame of linen. The edge may be finishes with bobbin lace or an edging of filet crochet. "

The pillow looks larger than a throw pillow but not as big as this is going to be. I think I'll get a magnifing glass and take a look at the pillow and compare it to the chart. But that still won't make up the 127 meshes along the bottom...

Hi Jens! Gotta hand it to you crocheting so tiny, and tight, too!

I have the book right here, complete with so many papers stuck into it, and notes all over it.

I have made several peacocks, and that page has tiny notes where I was counting the squares and rows, calculating the size. I frequently use size 10 thread, so I know how big an item will be by seeing how many meshes it has. I frequently graph my own designs, or use parts of designs. I might have been trying to re-work the graph to make it smaller by leaving out the border. ( I have made blouses with filet panels)

I don't know why yours is so big, but sometimes that happens. You are doing nothing wrong. Who knows what size thread was really used in the pic, or how big it is. Just go by the gauge that you use. I would love to see your work!

Zuzu

Thanks Zuzu,

I am about to rip it out.....It's way to big. I just finished an Iris for my mother in law for Mother's day but it is much smaller. It was a lot of fun to do but this dang peacock I'm starting to hate...and I'm only on the third row. (for the second time:eek ) I will see if my husband will help me post a pic of the iris. I'm just started thread and I'm thinking the peacock is just to big for me right now.

Oh, too bad, Jens, but better than to go crazy!!!

I forgot to mention that how many dc's you do for a block, or how many ch's you do for a mesh will affect the size. There are other peacocks, if you are interested. I once did one for the front of a blouse with a plan to put a few beads on the tail, but I did it in black, and the design did not show up as much as with white. I use one ch for a mesh, but I suppose the design would show up more clearly with 2 ch's.

I would love to see the iris!

Zuzu

I used 2 dc so to make 2 blocks/meshes it's a total of 7 dc. (3x2+1) that's the only way I can keep it all straight in my head right now!! I found an easier pattern to make on about.com for my mom....the peacock is going in a box right now for later I don't want to rip it out so I'm putting it out of sight. If we get more snow I might drag it back out. (slim chance tho)

Here is the iris I did http://crochet.about.com/b/a/186515.htm (just the pattern, if my hubby doesn't help me post my pic he didn't sound all that inspired to help) I did mine in a darker color not ercu, darker. That one I did with Size 10 thread and 7 hook. I like it so much I might make another one.

Jen

All 3 of those (iris, rose, thistle) are lovely!

If you use 2 dc to make a block, then your disign will be bigger, though it may make the pic more clear. Just measure what you make with your choice of thread, as well as your choice of dc per mesh, and your tension. Then you will know how many squares of a new pattern will make one inch (or your choice of measurement). That will tell you how big the finished piece will be just by counting the squares of the new graph.

I understand how you would want to put it aside, as it is a big picture. Well, taking things apart and using the thread is just part of crocheting!

How do you plan to use the iris panel?

I'm sorry you have so much snow, though I long to see snow. I sit with my windows open, and the breezes blowing.

Zuzu

I'm not sure that you fold it in half. It says they set it in linen I think. I did find another to do for my mom and I put what I finished of the peacock in the bottom of my sewing box for a later date..;)

It was in the 50s today. Most of our snow is gone there's a few drifts left in the country. You never know about the weather here (midwest). It was suppose to get nasty last night but it missed us thank God!

Thanks for all the help again. There really isn't anyone around here that I know to ask so all of you have been a great help! I'll be back with more Q's I'm sure, please have patience with me!

Jen

I just check out another book from the library and they show the SAME peacock as a TABLECLOTHE or windowcovering. So I think my book is missed up...:think How did they fit it on a pillow?

Jen

Archived