The LYS of your dreams...:-)

Everyones dreams are so good. As I read I think I'll do that and that too. But I notice most of everyone only thinks of knit and crochet. What about other kinds of crafts? Like different looms, embroidery, latch hook, cross stitch, Knitting machines.

We had a small craft store once here for a few months only. I wish it was still here. It had specialty yarns they didn't have at Ben franklin as well as a whole lot of other things.

Pat A.

..what would you call it?

...how would you have it set up?

...what kinds of fibers would you have available?

...would you be mulit-craft-friendly, or just for crochet?

...what other supplies would you stock?

...what kinds of classes would you offer?

...what other things would you have in your store that would "draw people in"?

I'd call my yarn store "The Hook Nook", and I'd stock the following:

Every color of Red Heart SS, TLC, Caron SS and Lion Homespun and every color of Lily Sugar and Cream and every color of Elmore Pigsah Peaches and Cream for my "basic" yarn selections.

For baby yarns, I'd carry the complete Bernat baby yarns and all the Red Heart baby yarns.

I'd have a small selection of fun fur for those that must use it.

I'd carry a complete line of crochet thread, too.

In the high end yarn department, well, since I don't use expensive yarn I have no idea what I'd carry, lol! I'd definitely have a large selection of high quality cotton and cotton blend worsted weight yarn, and of high quality non-wool yarns, since I'm allergic. But I'd still carry wool.

As far as how I'd organize it, I would NOT organize by brand, or even by fiber. Nope. I'd organize by color.

All the blues together, all the purples together, all the yellows together, and so on. Within each color section, though, I'd have it organized by fiber first, then by brand, so all the Red Heart acrylic blues would be together, for instance. But that way, people might get inspired to try a new yarn when they come looking for a specific color!

I would carry supplies mostly for crochet and knitting, with some plastic canvas and needlepoint/embroidery supplies. I don't think I'd carry any quilting supplies, as that gets really specialized.

I'd have hooks and needles, of course. Yarn needles, stitch counters and all the tiny things you lose all the time. Scissors and yarn cutters.

I'd also sell baskets for storing yarn, and boxes for storing notions. And small bookshelves for all your pattern books - which I'd also sell, along with pamphlets.

In the back, I'd have a book and pamphlet trading area for customers to trade books. I'd probably charge a small fee for access to the trading zone, like $5 for 5 trades, just so people would never want to buy my new books. In fact, I'd probably limit trading to books I didn't have in stock. But I'd definitely have a book/pattern trading area.

As for classes, I'd offer the usual beginner's classes, but I'd also have CAL classes, where the participants buy their own patterns and bring them in and they all work on them and get help as they need it.

I'd also offer classes in how to avoid repetitive stress injury, what to do with your stash (stashbusters anonymous! No more hiding yarn from you hubbie!), and I'd hold CALs for charity on a monthly basis.

To get people in the door, rather than serve snacks, I'd hold contests with prizes of yarn, books, finished objects, the place of honor to show off your finished object, etc.

I'd have an area where people could sit and crochet, but to keep them from staying too long without buying anything, I'd run hourly specials - so and so on sale for the next 10 minutes only! If it's one thing crocheters like, it's a bargain!

Everyones dreams are so good. As I read I think I'll do that and that too. But I notice most of everyone only thinks of knit and crochet. What about other kinds of crafts? Like different looms, embroidery, latch hook, cross stitch, Knitting machines.

We had a small craft store once here for a few months only. I wish it was still here. It had specialty yarns they didn't have at Ben franklin as well as a whole lot of other things.

Pat A.

you didnt read my idea for a craft store then. I mentioned in my post that I'd offer stuff for other crafts too, like quilting, embroidery and others. I'd even offer sewing machines in my store if I had one.

you didnt read my idea for a craft store then. I mentioned in my post that I'd offer stuff for other crafts too, like quilting, embroidery and others. I'd even offer sewing machines in my store if I had one.

You're right, I forgot that. I'd definately shop at your store. Especially if you have classes for them. Heck, I might just live there. lol :D:lol:yes:manyheart

Pat A.

The only reason I don't want to offer items for some of the other crafts (i.e., quilting, sewing--other than the basics for linings,etc.) is because the Columbus area has sooooo many of those shops available! Compared to quality yarn stores (of which there are only 3 here), the other craft stores outnumber the LYSes about 6:1, so no, I wouldn't offer that stuff, or my shop would be like one of the big box stores (JoAnn's, Michael's, etc.). Granted, they have their places here, since the LYSes here are so freaking expensive :eek. I would say that quilters and seamstresses outnumber even the crocheters about 2:1, so that's why there are so many stores.

Archived