picot petals coaster ...rant...

frogsrock

ugh this pattern is driving me crazy... this is only my 2nd thread project and i want to rip my hair out

http://www.karpstyles.com/crochet/picot-pet1.html

ive frogged rows so many times and i still cant get it to lay flat, its beyond what blocking can fix

Rnd 6: sl st in next st. dc in same st and next 5 sts, ch5. (sk first dc and dc in next 6 sts, ch5) 7 times

sl st to join

Rnd 7: sl st to 2nd st, dc in same st and next 3 sts, ch8. (sk first dc, dc in next 4 sts, ch8) 7 times

sl st to join

Rnd 8: (4 dc cluster (see Special Stitches) in next 4 sts, ch11) 8 times.

sl st to join

i changed row 6 to chain 6

row 7 to chain 10

then i tried to change row 8 to chain 15... still not enough, it wont lay right

and theres a stupid knot in the thread that i cant get out

in a way i want to beat this thing but in another way i want to take scissors to it...

:bang:thair

*edit*

o and this thing confirmed to my bf that i am insane... (im suprised it took him this long to confirm it) i was on the phone with him and telling the project (and the knot) off

have you considered doing an easier project while your still getting the hang of it. I did the 'easy pineapple doily' and it wasn't. I almost put down thread for good - it was that aggravating.

have you considered doing an easier project while your still getting the hang of it.

the pattern isent hard... its easy to understand exactly what each stitch does, the chain numbers just dont work out

Breathe!!!!!!! I know how frustrating it is! I am printing this out to see if I can assist. So give me today and let me see what happens with me!

thanks

I have finished most of it. You are right about it curling. I am going to tell you what I noticed to see if that helps. Also, when I pressed it with steam it straightens just fine, so blocking it will fix this problem. I am going to download some pics onto Photobucket and will post with my observations as soon as I can. Give me 10 minutes.

Ok, here are some pics:

Curly

th_Img_0051.jpg

Pressed, not blocked:

th_Img_0052.jpg

One thing I noticed is I had to be careful about the number of chains in round 4 and 5, cause in 4 you had to ch 2 and rnd 5 you had to ch 3 in between the DCs. I almost missed that little change!

Some of the pattern you had to look at the pic to be sure the directions made sense, and had to intuit the first dc group stitches sometimes. But like you said the pattern is pretty easy. I worked on a doily similar to this one other time and I thought sure I had messed up, but when I wet it down and blocked it, it turned out.

So, I hope this helped you! Best regards!

thanks

i didnt have any trouble with the pattern other than the curling...

should i pull out the rows i changed and do them the way the pattern says or will it be ok with more chains?

and when i press it do i put something between the project and the iron?

If you are going to make more than one, you are better off going with the pattern chain count. Also, once it is wet, it may stretch toooo much, then end up with little wrinkles in the chains. When I pressed it, I used a cloth to cover it so the iron isn't right on it and used the steam setting on the iron. Of course blocking it with pins will give the uniform roundness and straighten out little kinks in the chains like in my second pic. There are some kinks cause I just pressed it, instead of blocking. Like around round 4 and 5.

If you are going to make more than one, you are better off going with the pattern chain count. Also, once it is wet, it may stretch toooo much, then end up with little wrinkles in the chains. When I pressed it, I used a cloth to cover it so the iron isn't right on it and used the steam setting on the iron. Of course blocking it with pins will give the uniform roundness and straighten out little kinks in the chains like in my second pic. There are some kinks cause I just pressed it, instead of blocking. Like around round 4 and 5.

thanks

im not going to make more than one, but i guess i'll pull out and do it the way the pattern says

i dont know if my iron has a steam setting (not much ironing gets done in this house, if it needs to be ironed we usually dont buy it)... ah well guess i'll find out

Just adding my 2 cents...

There's a French crochet doily magazine I've done many patterns from, which says the chains between the designs (i.e. the repeats) are only an indication. You should adapt each pattern to fit your crocheting style. Not everyone will have the same tension as the designer. If your piece is curling, add a few chains. If it's too loose, remove a couple. I always felt bad for doing that, but seeing this written in a crochet pattern magazine helped! I change quite a few patterns these days.

With that said, if it's not too bad, it can certainly be blocked into shape. But if it's way off, then adapt it a little. And if you're going to make more than one, just make a note on the pattern you printed. Cross out the 5, and write 6 next to it in pencil. That's what I do.

Archived