making a bedspread

geebee

Hi all -

I started a squares queen-sized bedspread project using thread. My first time ever crocheting with thread and now I feel like I've bit off more than I can chew! It took me forever to figure out the pattern, my fingers are killing me, and it's taking a lot longer to crochet each square than I thought. Though the process of making the square is a pain, I have to admit that the result is really gorgeous so I'm committed to finishing it. If I devote about 2 hours a day to this project, can anyone tell from their own experience how long it might take me to finish it?

Thanks for any advice,

geebee

i have never done something that big.. and not sure how far you get in two hours.. i am going to safely say .. this is of course factoring in that you are not actually going to sit 2 hours every day .... there will be days you wont... that is just reality.. that this will thake you the better part of a year..

no joke.. my great grandmother was the worlds fastest thread crocheter (ok not officially but she was fast) and it took her about 3 months to get one done ..

let me say this about the spread. Mine was done in stripes, with 19 squares to a strip. It took one whole hour to crochet a square, and that was sitting for a solid hour to do it. I started my spread when hubby had cancer surgery, carried my thread everywhere with me. While he was going through chemo, and while he was resting at home, and l had to sit and keep him company. I finished the spread in two years. But l made a queen size spread. The longer his treatments went, the larger my spread got. So for a full size spread, l'm not sure how long it will take you. But don't stop with it. They are beautiful when they are finished, and you will be envied by all who see it. :))

Oh, my. I never realized those bedspreads take so long to make. Years ago before my grandmother passed away she gave one to my mother, but my mother never used it because it's a king size and my mother's bed is a queen. She always felt bad that it was going to waste. Since a king-sized bed isn't in her budget we've been trying to figure out a way to make it work, but short of hemming it up I don't know what can be done. It's a shame that she put so much work into something that still hasn't been used.

l would get a quilt holder and place it on the quilt holder at the foot of the bed for display. better displayed for it's beauty than stuck in a box somewhere in the closet for no one to enjoy. l'll bet it is beautiful.:camera

WOW...I bet it's going to be gorgeous!. How about some pics as you go along?

Try wrapping your hook...those steel hooks can make a hand cramp up quickly.

I'm thread crocheting a baby christening set (gown, booties and cap) and I wonder when I'll ever finish it.

So I started that wedding gown for Barbie...LOL...

Keep going back and forth between the 2 projects just so I don't get too bored! Tedious work...but the outcome IS LOVELY!

As stated by the gang, it will take a long time. But remember this, once done, WOW WOW WOW, and you will be so proud. Wish we knew what block you were making. My mother had started one (back in the 50"s) made about 200 of them and then finally quit, so sad. I have the pattern now, made a nice pillow cover using it and it reminds me of her. Once you make a few of them then the pattern will go faster for you. But because it takes so long you will get bored, doing the same thing over and over and over. So do a few, then put aside and do something fun, then go back and make more, it won't seem so boring then. Keep it ready to take everywhere you go and work on it then, we all have to waste so much time waiting for others or riding in the car. This sure will make the time fly by and get this huge project done faster. I know you can do it. Good luck. and do not give up.:cheer2

Archived