DMC Traditions - unmercerized?

MimiFL

I was just in Michael's the other day and I bought some DMC Traditions in white. Now, I've only bought Traditions in colors before and haven't really used it much yet, but my impression was that it was very tightly twisted and had a nice sheen to it.

The one I bought this week has no shine at all, isn't very twisted & actually a bit fuzzy (though very soft), and looks quite thicker than a size 10, closer to Baroque (also made by DMC). In fact, it's too thick for my #7 hook. It also looks unmercerized.

Well, yesterday, I ended up looking at both labels. The blue I'd bought before has a platic all-around wrapper that says "100% mercerized crochet cotton". The white one I just bought has a thin paper wrapper that says "100% crochet cotton". So it looks like my suspicions were correct; the white is indeed unmercerized.

Now, I looked at the DMC website, and it says Traditions is always mercerized. So the question is, why would DMC sell an inferior product under the same brand name and article number (145) as their regular stuff?

My best guess right now is that they produced a large batch of this cotton (either on purpose or accidentally) and are trying to get rid of it by adding 'special value' to the label and selling it for a fraction of the price. In fact, I'd forgotten to look at the price in the aisle and was surprised to find out from the cashier that it was only $1.11 for a 400-yd ball!

My other guess is that someone else is making a copycat product and passing it off as genuine DMC. Whatever the reason, I'm not too happy about it. I think I might email DMC tonight and ask them about it.

Has anybody have this problem before?

I have only used The DMC traditions once or twice. Happened to pick some up at a yard sale once. It just didn't seem like the caliber thread I want to use so have never purposefully bought anymore. To me is a economy thread and most of the time the quality just isn't there when they go for yardage not quality. I am sorry you are fustrated and I would email Dmc and ask if it is mercerized or not. Then you will know for certain.

I am sure they are just trying to fill a niche in the market with the traditions thread. A lot of people aren't willing/ or able to pay for the better threads. So there is a market for that caliber of thread.

I only use DMC in colors. For white I buy the large balls and it is all different brands. Depends on the price.

Have you tried to contact the customer service and ask them? Maybe they can give you a heads up or help with this problem.

I know what you mean about the label. It makes a lot of noise taking it off and try stuffing it inside the ball so you know the color:lol

I mostly get mine at Herrschners, as I have a better color choice.:hook

Archived