Help with Irish Crochet, please

Katy

Sorry, I put this request under my Beeton thread, and it probably should be different for different attention. I will repeat it here and beg forgiveness for wasting time and space...

I am back to my Beeton D'Oyley #2. Stopped to finish a half done doily for a wedding present. I'll show it here soon as I get it pinned and starched, since I now have a place to say "wanna see my doily?" and not get the groans my family always gives. Anyway, back to Beeton. So I have read motifs from Priscilla books (got hard copies) thanks for the tip. But this stuff is very hard in the beginning I think. Can anyone give me a tip on keeping the little guys on the right side? As I go from leaf to leaf and such I have trouble getting it turned over and the last motif was half frontward and half backward. Anyone know what I'm trying to say and have advise, I'd love it. I fear though that the only way to get used to this is practice practice practice. Thanks, Katharine

I haven't looked closely at the motifs you are doing for this doily. Are you using a Padding cord on your motifs? They will hold their shape much better if you do. That was one of techniques that made Irish Crochet special. I will try and take time and go take a look see at what you are attempting to do.

Well I took a quick look at the pattern you are doing. I don't see where it calls for a padding cord so your work is going to be a bit on the floppy side as you work. That does make it interesting to keep it all straight. I know I always double check how everything lays before I connect it to anything else. Slows me down some but saves me grief and frogging. Unfortunately you all ready guessed there is no magic trick. Just patience and practice.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Gentle Wind and back to Beeton D'Oyley #2.

I have a question about the term "over" when doing the Irish Roses. I understand going into the side back of the stitch 2 rows back for the rose loops. But these instructions use the term "over" for the single stitch for the rose loops. Like: one double crochet Over the one two rounds ago. So should I interpret that as into the side loop or actually any chunck of that stitch I can get into really?

Also, I only have a couple motifs left to do. Then the instructions say "sew them together" and then do the edging. Well, you are right they are floppy, and I'm not sure about this. Figured I could pin them out on a board to fit in a circle and spray starch them, and then try to sew them together, maybe while they are still pinned. Don't know what to sew together with, guess slip stitches. This must be like sewing onto the back cloth for actual Irish Crochet... which I do intend to try here eventually. Just working my way into it.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Katy

Katy you are doing fine, Over is just a matter of terminology, It just means to crochet around the single stitch for the rose lps, or as you put it into. I like the term around best. but have used the term over myself a few times.

Part of the problem with your motifs being floppy. ( Well I hate to say it as I know you like the thread you are using. ) is the thread you are using. You really don't want a soft thread for Irish Crochet. In fact a tad stiff works best. That is why your Cordonnett ( 6 cord ) works best It has more body without being difficult to work. I save the soft threads for other things I make. I normally will indulge in good thread when I start a Irish crochet Project. I have some linen I am acheing to try. Though I have heard it's a bit stiff to work with.....

As for sewing you want to use either a whip stitch using small stitches or the hidden stitch. I don't like my stitching to show so I try and use the hidden stitch as much as possible. I use sewing thread to do this as it blends in better. Be sure your thread matches the thread you are using for your piece.

Try laying you pieces out on a piece of felt. They wont shift around so much and will be easier for you to control. If that doesn't work baste them onto a piece of brown paper sack.

like this. just an example.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a219/Katchkan/S_irishcrochetwip.jpg

I know it's a lot more work, but it would make it easier to control especially since your motifs are a tad bit floppy as you put it.

Unfortunately there are almost as many ways to do Irish crochet as there are shamrocks in Ireland. So it's largely finding what works best for you. I know what works for me. If you need more help don't be afraid to PM me. I love this art form and don't mind helping. But I don't like being to pushy either.

Archived