Support Our War Wounded Troops at Ft. Sam Houston Fisher Houses CAL

RoseRed

It is not necessary to dedicate yourself to this endeavor. Just donating an item or 2 or even yarn would be so greatly appreciated. If you decide to dedicate yourself to this - please see k1c2's Fisher House thread on the Charity board.

There are 9 Fisher Houses that have replied positively to our request to donate handmade items. They are listed in Post #1 of the 'Fisher House blankets for wounded soldiers' thread.

Please send finished items directly to The Fisher House. The Houston House Manager, Frank Kelly, has asked that everything be "clean and servicable" and to include a note as to which group of soldiers you would like your items to go to. (My note will be simple - War Wounded.) They also request a contact address so that you can be sent a receipt for your items.

What is a Fisher House?

A Fisher House™ is "a home away from home" for families of patients receiving medical care at major military and VA medical centers. Fisher Houses are located next to Military Hospitals. They're almost like Ronald McDonald Houses in that they provide a home away from home for soldiers receiving continuing treatment and for their families.

Some are donating their time, talent and effort to their local Fisher House while others, like myself, are donating for a special group or cause. Different Fisher Houses have different patient bases depending on the specialties of the Hospitals they are adjacent to.

Personally, I am centering my focus of this Charity work towards the War Wounded. Ft. Sam Houston houses the Brook Army Medical Center (BAMC) and has four Fisher Houses.

According to the Manager of the Houston FH's - they are more than happy to receive handmade items. The one stipulation is that they be clean and servicable. We were also informed that we can attach a note so that the items are received by whichever group (I'm assuming war wounded, burn victims, amputee's etc., so that they are given to the people that we are indeed trying to support.

You can find information about the Housing Managers at The Texas Info page at www.fisherhouse.org.

Excerpt from Newsweek:

The new rehabilitation center is part of Brooke Army Medical Center (BAMC), one of three major military hospitals that treat the most severely wounded, and home to the only Department of Defense burn center. Now its amputee care center will move to the Intrepid, which can accommodate 100 patients at a time. At least 24,000 military personnel have been injured in Iraq and Afghanistan, and more than 500 of those are amputees.

Fisher Houses IN THE NEWS

Dedication of the Intrepid Video

National Leaders Thank Wounded Warriors

House of Healing

I'd like to dedicate this thread as a CAL to anyone who would like to donate to such a wonderful cause and specifically for those of us working towards the Ft. Sam Houston Fisher Houses.

Please remember that this is not the sign up thread for this. It's just a little side thing. I think knit1crochet2 has done a wonderful job co-ordinating this, especially since this is her 1st Project. Please remember to visit the Fisher House blankets for wounded soldiers to see what everyone else is up to.

Thank you for your time in reading this.

P1080073.jpg

Row Count Pattern

DC color change TUT

PLEASE SEND ALL ITEMS DIRECTLY TO THE FISHER HOUSE. THANK YOU.

Brooke Army Medical Center I & II

Building 3623 George C. Beach Rd.

Fort Sam Houston, TX 78234-6200

(210) 916- 6000

Inge Godfrey, Manager

spacer.gif

Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center

200 Holcombe Blvd.

Houston, TX 77030

(713) 794-8095

Frank Kelley, Manager

So far I have 2 purple heart/camo ghans started. I plan on adding rows to the top and bottom to make them rectangular and then adding a border. This is the same pattern as the dc heart graph/row count CAL that'll be starting soon.

I also have a prayer shawl completed that'll be sent out with the lapghans.

P1080073.jpgP1080071.jpgP1230089.jpgIMG%5D

I think I'll try and do something for this, in thanks that (so far) my friend Steve is in one peice and will be coming home for a mid-tour leave in a few weeks. This is his second tour in three years.

It doesn't have to be a purple heart/camo ghan. If you check out the other thread - there are a few different lapghans. Anything that's quick and easy for you to do is appreciated.

Thanks so much for considering this. What we're doing is mailing/shipping directly to the FH. I'll try to come up with a little note to add to the package just to let them know that it's from the C'vill Crew - or you guys can write your own.

We can either make whatever we are making and cheer each other along or we can start with the Purple Heart/Camo if you like. This CAL is for the Ft. Sam Houston Fisher Houses in support of the war wounded troops. If you ladies would like to come up with a specific pattern that we can all work on - great!

I finished the short, fat heart ghan and I need to finish the border on the 2nd purple heart ghan. Then I can t them out in the mail with the shawl.

I was thinking about doing some rectangle grannies. They go fast.

P1300125.jpg

It's 36x26 inches. Made with RH Camo and Amethyst and an I hook.

There are 11 rows of camo above and below the heart to give it the rectangular shape and 5 rounds of Amethyst for the border.

P1300125.jpg

It's 36x26 inches. Made with RH Camo and Amethyst and an I hook.

There are 11 rows of camo above and below the heart to give it the rectangular shape and 5 rounds of Amethyst for the border.

that looks wonderful. what a great design idea/

Archived