Amount of yarn needed?

I've made 4 of those and the amount of yarn you will needs depends upon two things: how long you want the shawl to be and what type of yarn you want to use. I like mine to be long...the point to be at or below my knee. The last one used 4 skiens of Simply Soft( ? I think thats the one, by Caron) mixed with a thick/thin wool blend I won on ebay.

OK, thanks everyone for replying. Now, what I have to work with is this,

<a href=th_which.jpg' alt='th_which.jpg'>

I have about 1o balls, 50 grams each, of the fuzzy fuschia, a rose colored Caron one pounder, and 9 balls, 50 grams each, of the violet there. I am iffy about my supply for the shawl, cuz of the yarn weights. I don't know if I would have enough of any of these, as I want a generous shawl, meaning, I want to be able to wrap up and cuddle in it.

As to which would use less..that would depend upon the size you wanted the finished shawl to be. While it might appear that the butterfly wing shawl would take less yarn, that may not be the case. I have made both shawls. I made the butterfly wing first. The pointed end of the shawl almost touched the ground, but it still barely covered my arms enough on the sides to use as I wanted. So..I undid the end and crocheted a seraphina from the butterfly wing...as the seraphina got larger, the butterfly wing got smaller..didn't really frog it.just crocheted it away. I worked the seraphina for 26 rows...the back point of the shawl comes just to mid knee from behind and I can flip one front end over the opposite shoulder and it stays in place and drapes nicely over the shoulder.. I had enough yarn left in the butterfly wing to make a matching hat.

Archived