Painting Versus Dyeing

OnyxArtWorks

Here are my questions. Is there a difference between hand painted and hand dyed yarns? Is one method easier than the other? Do you, as a crocheter, have a preference in what method is used to color you're yarn? I'm really quite curious about coloring my own yarns, so anything to help would be great. Thanks in advance.

-Tiia-

Sometimes I immerse a whole skein of yarn into the color bath, other times I mix up small amounts of dye and either paint them on the yarn or drop them on with an eyedropper. I honestly think you have to play around to get an idea of what appeals to you.

Here are my questions. Is there a difference between hand painted and hand dyed yarns? Is one method easier than the other? Do you, as a crocheter, have a preference in what method is used to color you're yarn? I'm really quite curious about coloring my own yarns, so anything to help would be great. Thanks in advance.

-Tiia-

Ya, I think you have to play around a little to get a sense for what you prefer and like. It's hard to say what's easier than the other too...it's really what you enjoy the most and what you prefer for getting your colours. That's the beauty of it though - same sort of processes but I think each dyer tweaks it enough to get something a little bit different from each other.

Archived