Food Coloring Dye

Tapanga

I have decided to try my hand at dyeing. I want to dye with food coloring, and after much research I know I need to dilute the food coloring in a cup of water and with some vinegar. The question is how much vinegar?

And then do I continue with the process as though I were dyeing with Kool-aid? By which I mean, microwaving, cooling, repeat, then rinse.

Any tips?

Thats about what I thinking.

It seems some sites say you don't need vinegar and others swear by it for the Kool-Aid. The food coloring method is a little vague.

I am going to give it a go when the little ones head off to bed. If its not totally shameful I will post a pic of it.

I was dying some yarn with KoolAid, and realised that I didn't have enough yellow to make the yarn green enough. I added two drops of yellow food coloring, and that was plenty!! The dye has not washed out at all, and I didn't use any vinegar since KoolAid is acidic.. Don't know if that's helpful or not, sorry. :lol

I didn't have any of the liquid food coloring. Mine is the gel stuff that comes in a tube. I found a site that says with food coloring you should use 1/4 cup of vinegar for every quart of water.

The blue and green came out awesome, but it took a lot to get the red to look vibrant. And its still not all that red,more dark pink. I will post pics as soon as I get the camera charged up a bit.

Archived