Drop Spindles and Spinning?

Guest mishakitty78

Guest mishakitty78

Ok, so I clicked that darn link for the ebay seller who has those gorgeous spindles and I'm *seriously* tempted.

But, as money is short (even though they're priced awfully nice!) I wanted to ask....how hard is spinning by hand? Is it really difficult? I have lots of roving (I felt it raw) and would love to try to spin some of it, but I don't know...

Can you spin other things into it? Like other colors of roving - can you hand-spin two together? How thick is the yarn you make? Any help and explanations would be greatly appreciated!

Melissa

Guest mishakitty78

Thanks Rebecca! I think the thick-thin type is definintely one type I'd like to do. I take it the directions are included? That would be good, certainly. I don't think I could figure it out on my own!

I'm really tempted to try and make nifty types of yarn with pieces of other stuff mixed in, but I don't know if you can do it on the drop spindle or not. But I do like the idea of being able to make the thick thin yarn. Hmmmm....

I sense a new obsession coming on!

Guest SamplerLady

mmouseplus.gifIf you want an inexpensive way to find out if spindling is for you, make your own spindle. Either check through all the old posts in this area or use a search engine for CD spindles. A very inexpensive spindle can be made from a chopstick and a potatoe. Getting it balanced may be a bit tricky, but....it can be done.

There are tons of instructions on the net, too, for spindling. Some have videos. Again, check through the old posts here and use a search engine to do research.

Like a lot of skills it takes awhile for one to "get the knack" of it. So be patient with yourself and allow time to learn. Then, like everything else, it's easy! :D

SLady is right, i did make it sound like you can pick it up and make yarn....

you do have to learn, and i'd be glad to do anything i can to help (supply step-by-step pics, emails.... )

i was lucky enough to find someone locally that spins and she came over and gave me a 2 hour lesson. are you in a big city? ck at lys' they might have someone (if you're lucky enough to have and lys near you) or is there a local weaver's guild??? this is where i learned.

:fc

Guest mishakitty78

Oh thank you Rebecca and Sampler Lady for the advice! I will definitely look online for tips, but I hesitate to make my own since it sounds like it needs to be balanced. And, currently, I'm swamped making replicas of Native American crafts (yes, I'm weaving "cloth" out of palm fiber. sigh.) for work. So little time, but lots to do!

I actually (and here's where you can throw things at me) live right behind the nicest LYS in town....very very very tempting (I'm in there several times a week) and always able to get free lessons there so I will definitely check there. :D! It didn't occur to me to check there, but I bet someone will know.

I may have to pick your brain, though, Rebecca. Thanks for the offer! It's so nice of you!

Guest SamplerLady
mmouseplus.gifThe hand made spindles made from CDs or DVDs don't need to be balanced. They work pretty well as a starting point.

• 2 years later...

I just learned to spin last week, using a CD spindle, and it's not hard at all. I recommend trying it first, before getting a wheel. (Haven't tried that yet, maybe someday...)

Adding bits of other material or colors sounds like a super idea for interesting yarn. No reason why you can't just pull off a bit of another color, or whatever you want to add, and draft it in with the main piece you're spinning from. Learning to spindle spin does take some practice. Guess why it's called a Drop Spindle! Clunk!

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have made a donut spindle (which is quite heavy and rotates very long) and I bought a ready made spindle (because a cute lamb and lavender is painted on top and I couldn't resist)

Both are different in their weight and it is a little bit different to spin with each of them.

At the first try you will think that you will never ever get it. But luckily this is only the first try...

I highly recommend to watch the dropspindle- videos on youtube. I've learned a lot just by watching.

Archived