?? Sheep poop smell...

MarvieN

When I soaked the first spindle full of this teal fluff I noticed when I took it out that there is a rather... ahem... strong odor of sheepie poo... will this fade when it dries or do I need to add more soap, or some vinegar? There's no actual poop and you can't smell it while spinning, it's after you give it a bath.

Yeah, I know, wool comes from sheep and sheep poop *g* I just don't want my fabric (whatever I make) to smell of it lol.

I guess it depends on how well the fleece was washed before it was processed. Is this the same roving that came with your spindle or is it from somewhere else?

It shouldn't smell, if it does, additional gentle washings should take care of it.

Holly

No, this is different. The one that came with my spindle and the rainbow stuff had no smell whatsoever. This teal one is a bit different than those were, it's more like cotton candy. I'm pulling out a chunk, then tugging on it to thin it out for spinning because there are no long strips like the other two were.... if that makes sense? It's working up beautifully though... hehe yesterday I spun a rainbow, today I'm spinning an ocean ;)

I'll wash it a couple more times and then let it dry, maybe once it's dry it won't smell anymore....

LOL Deneen. The roving your spindle comes with won't smell *g*

This teal stuff must be straight off the farm or something *g*

It seems to be fading as it dries though... or else my nose is less sensitive lol. I figure I'll use it to make something that won't need to be washed often. I'm really thinking a felted hat if there's enough. I've almost got my second spindle full.... and the bag looks like it's hardly been touched. It started out as 200 grams of roving... It'll keep me busy for a couple of days :blush hopefully till payday so I can order more off ebay heheheh

Guest SamplerLady

mmouseplus.gifEzCode Parsing Error: face=comic sans ms color=purple size=4]Are you sure it's poop or just the smell of wet sheep? Wool has a distinctive odor (which I find lovely) when it's clean and wet. Try putting white vinegar in your final rinse and see if that doesn't help. :D

"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong."

Joseph Chilton Pierce

Hmmm well I've never actually been close to a wet sheep, so I guess it could be that lol. Poop was just the smell I associated with what came rising out of that water *g*

The first batch is completely dry now and there is no "poop" smell left, so it probably is wet sheep smell *g* ( I just went and checked)

Thanks ya'll =)

Archived