tornado victims help

I don't have enough posts to start a new thread in the "charity" section, so I figured this would be the next best place, since I'm not looking for charity really... Anyway, Has anyone seen any contact information to donate stuff like afghans, throws, hats, etc. to the tornado victims in FL? I know it has only been a few days, so maybe that kind of thing hasn't been organized/released. I'm going to make some things to donate, and I really don't know where to send. I was reading in the paper, but nothing there. Maybe the Red Cross? Any info is appreciated! :hook

I actually live just about 10 miles from where all this happened. We were very fortunate but it just as easily could have been us. I'd be more than happy to make some calls and see what I can come up with. I'll make a post in the charity section as I was thinking of doing the same thing!

Donnalynn, where do you live? I'm in Belleview and only about 10 miles from The Villages too!

With this being Florida, I don't think anyone needs hats, maybe lightweight blankets, but I have no idea where they should be sent. I haven't traveled to the area because I imagine there are way too many gawkers there now anyway. I usually shop in this area, but chose not to this weekend. The cleanup will take time and lots of manpower.

I read in the paper this morning that the Red Cross and other major charities are looking cash more than anything, not goods.

After Hurricane Andrew, when so many well meaning people sent wool sweaters and other things that just couldn't be used, but still had to be sorted through, I think they got away from asking for "stuff".

However, if someone more local than me (I'm in Tampa) knows of a local church group that is taking donations, please let me know. I have a garage full of baby clothes, toys and gear that I can donate!

Oh, and blankets will be good, but hats and scarves, not so much. Blankets and socks, though, would be awesome. It's been chilly here lately. That's actually what caused the storms - very cold air from Canada hit very warm air from the Caribbean right over Central Florida. Very bad when that happens.

Donnalynn, where do you live? I'm in Belleview and only about 10 miles from The Villages too!

With this being Florida, I don't think anyone needs hats, maybe lightweight blankets, but I have no idea where they should be sent. I haven't traveled to the area because I imagine there are way too many gawkers there now anyway. I usually shop in this area, but chose not to this weekend. The cleanup will take time and lots of manpower.

We're neighbors!!! I am in Ocala! I have been watching the news and it's going to take FEMA a few more days before they get ANYTHING down here for these people! They were saying that all they have to survive is the generosity of others. People who's homes weren't destroyed are making food and bringing it to them. I agree with the last couple of posts that we really don't use Hats and Scarves down here. Blankets, socks and the like I agree are probably the best things. Great idea about contacting a church. I may call one local church which is very big and see if they have any leads for me. Regardless, I definately want to help in whatever way I can. I'm going to work on 12 inch squares during the superbowl tomorrow and anyone else who wishes to donate squares, they will be very appreciated. I don't know about you, but if this had happened to me and a stranger brought me a hand-made afghan that was made by many different people who cared enough to do it, I would certainly treasure it.

Archived