Looking for help and Idea's please for 'ghan

One of my four WIP's is an afghan for my hubby, I am making all Bobby's squares, here is the link if you have never seen these,

http://www.heartmadeblessings.org/patterns/BobbysSquare.asp

Okay, I am making these in two colors, for the Vickings football team, his fav, wont go there now :lol

He is sick of me singing the Bears SUPERBOWL SHUFFLE :rofl

so its purple and yellow, I will be alternating them, now, what color would you join them in, the purple or yellow? Would you join them using the whip stitch or do a different joining method?

and then, what border would you use?

This will be his Valentines day present, I am planning on 5x6 squares, he is fluffy like me, and will use it mostly for sitting in his recliner. I have 6 squares done now, it is in Carons SS.

Thank you in advance, I MOSTLY worked with thread until I ventured upon the 'Ville here, and am spreading my wings. I even have a small tapestry bag in the works that a wonderful villager has graphed and helped me with, it is of my doggy, my westie.

Here is my two cents. I always use the darker color when joining a ghan with squares. When I have two majorly contrasting colors in the squares, I like to join using the slip stitch. I'll briefly try to explain it here, but you can find joining methods LIKE CRAZY with a search....

Take your two squares, both right side up. Put the desired yarn on your hook, run the free end behind and UNDER your work. **Put your hook through the back loop ONLY of the darker square corner stitch, then through the back loop ONLY of the lighter square corresponding corner stitch. YO behind/under your work and pull this through both square loops AND the loop on your hook. Repeat from ** with the next stitch.

This creates a nice solid look between the squares - whipstitching contrasting colors gives you a jagged look where the dark yarn runs through the light squares, etc. It's a little slower, but love it.

One of my favorite borders is very simple as well (I would do this in purples as well). sl st in st, ch1, sl st in next st, ch1, sl st in next st, etc.... around your whole afghan. (Yes, it *is* sl st, not sc!)

Ty you both :manyheart , I think I will try Krystals stitch, slipstitch that is, I have to finish a couple purple squares so I can play around and try it. Gosh the problems this created for me, lol, I have never PUT TOGETHER a ghan before, I always made the ones like ripple or solid color shells, lol, so this is new to me, oh I did granny squares before when I was YOUNG, but I don't ever remember putting them together :think , well, that was a longggggggggggggg time ago. I will post pics when I am done in the show and tell, it will be awhile though, I am working on a couple different things :hook

Archived