when do you give up?

comfort80

Question

i have been working on designing an afghan pattern for three weeks, i can't seem to get happy with my end results each time. i think part of my problem is that i am also working on a baby blanket at the same time, and cannot devote enough mental power to this pattern.

i could settle with what i have now and just go with it, but to me it looks sloppy, even though everyone i know would think differently, i just dont see it as one of my better works.

i also have another blanket with a very easy pattern i want to start, and i'm wondering if its a good time to set down the afghan and pick up something else for a little bit and come back to it later.?

When do you usually walk away from a project for a bit?

5 answers to this question

for me it would be exactly where you're at....i'll go and find something simple...SOMETHING WITH A PATTERN I CAN FOLLOW...not using a pattern for most of what i do, there's a lot of frogging and re-frogging the same peice and it gets discouraging....sometimes following somebody else's pattern is a refreshing change of pace for me.

For me, I would put it down, and work on something else. Perhaps, you could find something kinda similar that might give you an idea. For instance, my little sister who has never read a hat pattern before, thought she was inventing something new by making a circle shape for the top, and then adding rows to make it down. When I told her that most crocheted hats are made that way, she has started reading patterns to perhaps tweak her ideas a little. Or another example, I just made my first pair of socks. Having never done them before, I wouldn't have any idea how to start, but since I've made a pair, I would be much better able to design some myself. I know you've done many afghans, but perhaps a similar stitch, or something would help you figure it out. Sometimes though, if I'm VERY frustrated with a project, I'll go on to something completely different. It has to be fun if this is a hobby, right? :) Just have fun with it.

Victoria

i think i finally figured it out. i took a few days off, threw the ball and what i had worked on in the bottom of my craft box, and walked away from all things crochet for a couple days. i think i was trying to do too much with one blanket for right now. i made it simpler and now it seems to be coming along nicely, i just need more yarn that i already have in order to make it the size i want!!!!!

I think walking away from it for now is an excellent idea, maybe your creative side is in need of a rest...but watch out when it comes back...new patterns everywhere. Don't get discouraged...

If the pattern is continous, the SAME THING over and over, then I walk away and crochet something else. Especially dolls or animals that have legs or arms that I have to make 4 of. Then I get bored.

Archived