Anyone out there . . .

use the Bernat Baby Coordinates Sweet Stripes yarn? I'm not a fan of the sportweight yarn but liked the yellow this comes in (for my husbands niece due in April). I was wondering what patterns you all may have used or just the ones that come on the label?

Julie

I made the round ripple with it a few months ago. I was really expecting to like this yarn, but I didn't. Lots of thick and spots with the yellow. The pattern prolly wasn't the best for the striping part either.

IMO, it pools more than stripes. I went to the bernat website and downloaded patterns to choose from. The blanket did turn out really cute!

I used their diagonal baby blanket pattern, and it does stripe, but unevenly. I was expecting more even stripes.

It's still cute, and very soft and getting lots of use and washing, according to the mom I gave it to.

I would NOT recommend that diagonal pattern, though. Not unless you hate yourself and want to throw hooks.

My mom made two blankets using this. She used the pattern on the label for one, which striped nicely, and then one of her old standby patterns, where it pooled (but not unattractively, we thought). I have photos of these, but with a non-functioning USB port, no way to get at them right now. I'll see about dowloading them via chip later. The folded up blankets can be seen here:

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a383/DesertCrocheter/Blankets/?action=view&current=1168122377.pbw

and they show up okay. No problems at her end with splitting, or thick and thin sections within the same skein.

Patty

I used their diagonal baby blanket pattern, and it does stripe, but unevenly. I was expecting more even stripes.

It's still cute, and very soft and getting lots of use and washing, according to the mom I gave it to.

I would NOT recommend that diagonal pattern, though. Not unless you hate yourself and want to throw hooks.

Thanks for your reply! I wasn't planning on doing the diagonal pattern, especially now after what you said. I've done a diagonal dishrag before, and not my favorite.

Patty,

What beautiful afghans! I spotted the sweet stripes in the blue and green. I was thinking about the green but was told by the soon-to-be grandmother that the daughter doesn't like mint green so I stuck with the yellow. The pattern your mom used (the standby) looks like what I want to use. Thanks again for letting me see them.

Julie

Julie, my mom had no problem with pooling colors when she started at the beginning of a skein, but when she started an afghan with a partially spent skein (in mid-skein), the effect was a little different. Maybe because of where she was starting in the striping? I'm not sure if that was skein-specific, just where the machine cut that x-hundred yards of yarn, or not. Patty

Archived