Red Heart ...Painted desert

I just bought some yarn and started working it up in a ripple pattern. It didn't look so nice because of the color variation I think. The yarn is Red Heart...Painted Desert. I love this yarn. The colors in it are beautiful. Because of my inexperience I am not sure what patterns to use for varigated colored yarn. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Barb

I had a post there but realized that the picture of the yarn colours would be bad :wlol

anyway, are you asking what colours would go well with this or what kinds of patterns are best with it?

this Octagon baby blanket shows the Vari's to great advantage

http://www.woolcrafting.com/octagon-baby-afghan.html

Basically, you do not want a pattern that is intricate or has busy stitches. Those patterns are wasted on a vari as you won't see them.

Your ripple should work if you just get some contrasting or matching colours and work in patterns.

If you want Vari only...hmmm

...A giant granny can work for that.

...that yarn would make a nice background colour for a floral style afghan.

How much yarn do you have? That would affect what you can do with it.

Well lets see... I can pick up more yarn which was my intention. I think you have a good idea with adding another color in a pattern. That would break up the varigation and make it more attractive. It looks so different worked up than in the skein form.

Yes. I find the same thing. and it matters what you make too. a large uninterrupted area will look different than a pattern that is broken up and thinner; like a scarf.

You should be able to get some lovely colours to go with it though. It is so pretty - if you get the matches :wlol:hug

I used this same color to make my sister in law a laghan......I did a shell pattern all in painted desert....I love using varigated yarns with or without complimentary colors.

I am in the process of making a baby blanket in Caron Simply soft "baby brights ombre" it is coming along beautifully.

No I just meant colours that would go with the painted desert colours or that would contrast in some way

Suzie, you are right about the Vari's on their own. with a simple shell pattern, you get a different effect than with just a plain SC fabric but the shells aren't competing with the colour. shells are shells; they look great but don't demand attention :wlol

that baby brights ombre is very pretty if I remember it correctly

I find that using patterns that don't have regular repeats helps avoid that "pooling" you get with varigateds. Things with posts and cables are good, or granny squares or other things done in the round. Or something that uses stitches of various heights - something that will break up the dye pattern.

I got a ton (okay, not a ton, but about 10 skeins) of this color at the thrift store. First I tried a MAM pattern I found that used variegated, but it looked awful. Then I started a ripple ghan with it, using for contrast the blue, green, and ruby colors. It just wasn't speaking to me at all. Now I'm using it to make a giant rectangle granny ghan, throwing in my contrast colors when the mood strikes. I like it alot and can't wait to finish it.

I like the yarn now too. I decided to crochet up a small square sample but when I did I really liked it for a skinny scarf. Check out what it looks like. The colors aren't true to the actual colors because I scanned it instead of taking a picture but...doesn't this look nice as a scarf?

I can't seem to upload the picture

im makeing a blanket with red heart ocean in a ripple pattern with purple to break it up (lion brand pound of love)

so far i only have one section of each done but heres the pictures

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/michelle_e/crafts/rippleblanket.jpg (on the floor)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/michelle_e/crafts/blanketme1.jpg

wrapped around me like a scarf because im a nerd ...the colors here are more accurate)

my grandmoms done a few blankets with um

one was a shell with a varigated and then she did a boarder with solid colors (one or two rows red, then cream, then green)

a ripple like im doing, done with maroon and a white/blue/maroon varigated

she did an american girl doll blanket with multicolored yarn in a ripple pattern, no solid color

it looked nice on the doll bed but full size would have been too much

and a few others i cant think of at the moment

Archived