Roll Stitch

iamisaid

About 5 years ago I crocheted a baby bonnet from a 1915 pattern in Old Time Crochet magazine. Size 30 thread, number 10 steel hook, 20 wraps. The bonnet has probably 100 roll stitches. The other day I tried to make a Christmas ornament with a roll stitch of only 8 wraps, size 20 thread, and a number 8 steel hook. To save my life, I cannot do it, nor can I remember how I did it before. I even made my niece let me borrow the bonnet to look at, to see if it would jog my memory. Could anyone help me with this?

Thanks,

Nancy

About 5 years ago I crocheted a baby bonnet from a 1915 pattern in Old Time Crochet magazine. Size 30 thread, number 10 steel hook, 20 wraps. The bonnet has probably 100 roll stitches. The other day I tried to make a Christmas ornament with a roll stitch of only 8 wraps, size 20 thread, and a number 8 steel hook. To save my life, I cannot do it, nor can I remember how I did it before. I even made my niece let me borrow the bonnet to look at, to see if it would jog my memory. Could anyone help me with this?

Thanks,

Nancy

The roll stitch or Bullion stitch ( as Joan noted ) is easiest done with a inline hook such as Susan bates hook. If you are using a Boye (or that style of hook ) that has a tapered neck, it is very difficult to make that stitch ( not impossible, Just difficult.) They also make special hooks just for that stitch. I normally use a Boye hook, but have a set of the Susan Bate's just for doing that stitch. Hope this helps you.

Thanks for the tutorial...I can't wait to look at it!! I quit using Boye hooks a long time ago - steel and otherwise. The straight shaft is so much better. But like everything else, the quality has deteriorated. I bought 2 Susan Bates size 8 hooks recently, and they are so thin and light that they are hard to hold.

Again, I appreciate your help!

Nancy

Archived