Starting on a big project

I've now taught 3 people to crochet. I started a ripple afghan (first 8 or so rows) for them and they just continued that. These gals were WAY less frustrated than when I taught my sisters and a friend to crochet granny squares and have continued to crochet.

So, my suggestion is to help the new crocheter start a project that they want to do and skip those first chains and handing very narrow bits of crochet. By the time they finish, they have a real handle on holding a hook and then learning the chaining and early rows are MUCH easer. So, maybe starting with total basics isn't necessarily the best thing.

Anyway, this is my tip.

Stephanie

I think that's a very good idea... I think all of us can agree that crocheting into the chain is not the most thrilling part of a project, nor the easiest, and with a ripple afghan it takes a few rows before you get the satisfaction of seeing the 'ripples' start... it's almost hard to picture with the increases and decreases how it's going to come out when it's a long skinny thing.

Very smart idea... maybe I'll try that with my daughter who gets flustered easily:hook

Thanks for a very useful tip. Did your students get impatient while you were doing the beginning rows? And did they try to grab it and start right away? Anyone I have tried to teach does that. I have always started with granny squares so far, so as to avoid crocheting into a chain, and none of them has managed to get an even tension. So I will try your way next time.

Archived