Spliced yarn

I got the Knitting Answer Book for Christmas, and it talks about splicing yarn together. It says it works best on wools and fuzzy yarns, and may work on other yarns as well. All the websites I've tried to locate information about this on only talk about using wool with splicing.

Does anyone know if splicing works well for acrylic yarn being crocheted into an item? I'd like to try it out on a baby blanket I need to make up, but I'm afraid it may come apart with this technique. I was hoping some of the more experienced crocheters may have some words of wisdom on this. :hook

Thanks in advance! :yarn

Lady of Roses, you'll need to tell us a little more about the process before we can tell you the answer you're looking for. I'm guessing it's not the Russian join, which I love. Are you talking about a process like the one where you moisten the ends of the yarn and kind of spin them back and forth between your palms? That one works best with wool and other natural fibers. I'm really interested to know what technique you're talking about.

Lady of Roses, you'll need to tell us a little more about the process before we can tell you the answer you're looking for. I'm guessing it's not the Russian join, which I love. Are you talking about a process like the one where you moisten the ends of the yarn and kind of spin them back and forth between your palms? That one works best with wool and other natural fibers. I'm really interested to know what technique you're talking about.

I think that is the one I'm talking about. Where you have the two ends and break off half the plies from each side, and then re-twist the plies together. All the websites talk about using it with wool mostly. Many dub it the spit and splice! :eek Here's a link to an example of the online instructions.

The book I have doesn't say it's limited purely to wool, but it doesn't mention acrylic either.

This is a cool technique that I've tried with both natural and synthetic fibers.

Surprise - it works really well with the natural yarns....they must retain the memory of their former life!

Thanks for the instructions - they are both helpful!

Kathleen

I just wanted to post a little follow-up here:

I finished the baby blanket that I did my first attempt of splicing acrylic yarn together tonight. I threw it in my front-load washer and washed it, and then dried it in my dryer on low. I spliced yarn together I think 6 or 7 times total.

You can't see where it's spliced together and I really can't find where I did! I guess that means the technique works on acrylic as well! I used probably 6-8 inches on each end of the yarn I spliced together to be sure I had enough old/new to twist.

I'd highly recommend "The Knitting Answer Book" for crocheters with even a mild interest in knitting. As a long-time novice knitter I learned SO much I never knew, and certain things carried across to crochet and weren't in "The Crochet Answer Book."

My Grandmother did it that way for years. The russian way. You never see a knot or a loose end in her afghans and other works. And she used acrylic yarn most of the time.

:manyheart

Archived