I Want A Warm Blanket!!!

And I want to make the rectangular granny....but...how warm is it? And, more importantly....do your toes stick out through the holes? :think

If you start a blanket and realized the "holes" are too big, you can just rip it out and start over with a smaller hook - it will also makethe blanket thicker and, presumably, warmer ... although I think I read somewhere that it's the holes that make a blanket warm - they trap body heat. Good luck!

Fran

I wouldn't worry about it - just go ahead and use whatever pattern you like. I don't know why the hole-y grannies are warm, but they are. This is something I've been pondering ever since I was a kid and got my first granny afghan - how can something with HOLES all over it be so WARM?

Personally, if I'm looking for something really warm, I wouldn't use a granny pattern. Far to many holes for the air to escape through.

The warmest blanket I made was using a shell pattern, just going backwards and forwards in rows...no holes to be seen anywhere. Plus you can use a bigger hook, to get a softer blanket, and still be very warm.

I think it depends on the stitch you use. I made a 3 strand afghan for my sister years ago, she keeps on the couch in her livingroom to cuddle up with in the wintertime. It is really nice and warm. I think I used a Q hook on that on And only SC.

I agree. A single crochet blanket using multiple strands is very warm. And very easy to make. Just figure out how big you want it with your chain, and make a lot of rows of single crochet. Very easy and warm. Use a few different colors of yarn and it will be amazing. Good luck.

:manyheart

Archived