Rescued Yarn and Projects

Any one buy half finished projects and work them up, or buy sweaters at thrift stores to frog and reuse the yarn?

I always look for finds at thrift stores... but I've seen RH 1/2 used skeins for $3!!! :think

I just bought some granny squares from an Ebay estate sale, that I'm going to cut apart and re-assemble and send to my hubby in Korea.

I don't want to buy an unfinished project, although I'd buy yarn.

The first time I ever went to Unclaimed Baggage, I found a couple of projects in ziplock bags. Both were big baby projects, one was almost finished. I would have purchased them and sent them to the owner, but there wasn't a name or anything with them. It hurt my heart to leave them, but I didn't have anything at all to go on.

Let that be a reminder.

Always put *something - like email - but not your real address or phone number* in there in case a good Samaritan happens along.

:P

Thrift stores are my favs! I found a beautiful XL cream colored 100% wool sweater with a stain right on the front panel.Took it home, frogged it and have oodles of wool for projects, and it only cost me less than a buck! I think the sweater might have been worn once-it certainly haden't been washed.

I pick up yarn at the Thrift store all the time. But I have to watch out how the prices are, you can get great deals when you watch closely. I have a book case from Wal-Mart and two XL Space Bags filled with yarn, I would say that 3/4 of it is from the Thrift store.

Some people have food storage, I say I have yarn storage. If any thing happens I will be warn and happy crocheting.:devil

Lynda

Yes! I love to recycle yarn. I buy sweaters at yard sales, frog them and reuse the yarn. If you decide to do this, be sure the seams are not serged. If they are, you'll get a bunch of short pieces of yarn. One of my best buys was an extra large 100% alpaca sweater for 50 cents! Haven't used the yarn yet though. I made a friend a lapghan from a pink boucle sweater when she was having chemo. She's fine now, but she still keeps her pink blankie in the car with her. Alice

I got a bunch of yarn donated to me, and in it was 3 afghans "in progress". The one only needed a border, which I just finished. The 2nd I am in the progress of finishing (all the yarn was included), and the 3rd I will finish later, I think I even had the pattern on my shelves!

Archived