Cro-hooked Objects in Demand

cgd

I did some cro-hooked hotpads for Christmas gifts, then DH requested a cro-hooked scarf. He picked out the colors, and I finished it last night (RHSS Aran Fleck, good guy color BTW, with CSS Black), and he wore it on this 28-degree morning in Mississippi (yes it gets that cold sometimes!). While I was making that, DS lets me know he wants a cro-hooked cap. He picked his colors, and I'm off and running on it. I showed them the 101 Double-Ended Crochet Stitches, but they chose the simple stitch, which to me is the best anyhow.

I love the thickness and warmth of it, plus the reversible nature of the fabric appeals to my and others' practical sides. It's so easy to do, works up quickly, and people think you did something hard when they see the interwoven colors! Also, the fabric is stretchier than crochet or Tunisian, and it doesn't curl like Tunisian since you turn the work (no offense to Tunisian, Kim and ARNie, I still love it and plan to do a sweater out of the Weekend Tunisian Sweaters book I received last week). As for crochenit/crochet on the double/cro-hooking, Gotta love Mary Middleton (designer of Crochenit hooks and many patterns), Darla Fenton, and this technique in general. This is becoming my winter accessory scarf-and-cap favorite! :clap

Ooooh! You just got my creative juices running! Do you have pics of your hat?

I made DH a camo hat for Christmas and it's a bit too big. So, I'm going to take it apart and make another. The hat I made was just DC (or HDC.. I don't remember and he has the hat) in back loops. I made a big (too big :() tube, sewed the sides and gathered the top. I'm not really thrilled with how it looks anyway. Is that sort of how you did the hat, or did you shape it some other way.

Joan

No pics yet, I'm not done with it, but I'm planning on doing the tube deal. I did that several months ago with a Tunisian cap, and it worked fine. I posted pics of that in the Accessories Show and Tell and will try to find that link for you. The regular crochet hats I've done have been in the round. I really like the HDC and DC back-loop ribbing, I'll bet the camo hat looks great! Post pics of it when you can, or when you redo it if you choose to.

ETA: Here's the link to the Tunisian cap: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32147&highlight=Tunisian

It looks a bit girlie because I did an edging on it.

Thanks... I like that hat! I think I would make a fold-over brim on a hat. One problem I have is that tunisian seems to be harder on my hands than regular crochet. Maybe it's the hook I have (double-ended size K)? I just finished a purse and my hands/wrists still feel a bit sore. It was done in Lion Suede, which is a heavy yarn, so that may have been part of the problem.

Joan

Yeah, you could make a brim. My hat is long enough to fold, but it's optional. You could do a FPDC/BPDC ribbing with regular crochet for the brim--I've seen that in different patterns for edgings. Hmm, I don't know about the wrist with Tunisian. The only time I have wrist problems with Tunisian or cro-hook is with cable-extended hooks which force my hand to a bad angle. From what I've heard, there used to be some hooks with cables that swiveled, but I can't find those. I don't have trouble using the regular non-cabled hook though--you're right, it might be the yarn. Speaking of which, I love feeling Lion Suede at the store but haven't bought any yet. Do you have pics of your purse posted? I'll bet it's really nice!

OOOooooo,NICE!! I wanna learn cro-hooking!

Kim Guzman has been offering free on-line classes on Tunisian and Croknit. She has the transcripts of the classes she taught this fall on her blog:

http://kimguzman.bravejournal.com/

Scroll down a bit on the left side to where it says Class Transcripts

Cindy... The bag is not yet finished because I finally lost my one remaining large hole needle that I use to put the bag together and weave in the ends. I plan to go to Joann's in a bit to get some more, and once it's finished, I will post the pic.

Also, I don't know where you live but Ocean State Job Lots (in New England) is selling the Suede for $2 a ball. Someone just posted that Dollar Tree is selling it for $1 per ball... I need to check that out.

Joan

Archived