Help Needed - How to Block Doilies

harmonise

I'm sure there is a very helpful post here somewhere already but I haven't the time to search for it. If anyone can point me to it or just give me the nuts and bolts of how to block a doily so it comes out straight and not overstretched please help. I want to frame one for a Christmas present and need to get it done PDQ. thanks tons, nance :think

I always have a picture of what the doily should look like (mine don't always look exactly as nice!) Then I pin and stretch it to the size in the pattern instructions, then I spray it with sta-flo liquid starch (full strength) and it comes out just the right stiffness for my liking. I'm still learning how to get them to come out as pretty as the pictures, but with each one I'm getting better. I covered a cushion from my love seat with some of that spongy packing material, and I just pin the doilies to it and let them dry overnight. It just takes practice and patience. Good Luck, if I'm getting the hang of it, so will you.

i also pin mine and then spray starch them. I bought one of those large cork board/bulletin boards in the office supplies at walmart. once you get it pinned, if it looks a little cockeyed, then just adjust it. Sometimes it takes a little time to get it to look right, but it is worth it. I know a lady that stiffens her doilies until they are hard, but I don't like mine like that. I just like to starch mine just until they lay pretty.

This will deffinitely help on my round ones....the one i've got perplexing me right now is a square made up of 9 star-shaped motifs connected by 4 small circle-y ones...it's all put together and i've stretched it as a whole but now i'm wondering if i was supposed to block the motifs individually within the whole....thoughts?

Archived