International symbols

HollyM

Question

Do you like them? See them around much? I never really paid much attention to them before. I just got the Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet. I'm really looking at the symbol patterns and I think this could be what I've been missing. Seeing it drawn out like that was a light bulb moment for me,

Ohhhhhh THATS what they mean!!!

I've stuck to very simple projects because reading a regular pattern made my head spin. When I've looked at patterns online I've only seen written out patterns. Are there sites with international ones? Is there an easy way to convert a written pattern?

What are your thoughts?

Holly

4 answers to this question

Guest julianscat

Hi Holly,

I wasn't sure I could follow symbols until I looked in Kooler to understand a stitch for the 63 square afghan. The symbols for it explained it so much more clearly than the written directions.

I don't know if I'm ready to follow a project using just symbols yet, though.:scratchchin

Happy :knit

Emily

I haven't used symbols much, but I think I like them. Crochet Your Way by Gloria Tracy and Susan Levin also has lots of info about international symbols. I have that book as well as Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia. I, too, would like to hear if anyone has tips on converting words to symbols.

Hey, I love international symbols! I think it's best to have both - I usually go by the written pattern and use the symbols as clarification when I can't work something out. And sometimes the written pattern has a mistake in it, so then the symbols are extra helpful.

I can't imagine though that it would be easy to convert a written pattern into the symbols without actually doing the crochet, or at least completely understanding the written pattern.

I've seen them and I prefer written instructions. To me, it is easier but everyone has their own way. I know some of my friends cannot read a pattern so that would probably help them. Me, I like reading patterns but maybe I'll try a little pattern in symbols. Looks like a lot of counting though. Sometimes I can barely walk and think at the same time. LOL.

LI Roe

Archived