Giving personal lessons...?

I've been thinking about giving personal crochet lessons, but I have no idea how to go about this or how popular it would be. I've always gotten anxious about speaking in public, which is something I want to remedy, but I'm thinking I'd do better to start out slowly. Any ideas on how to figure what to charge for an hour? Or if you think I would get many responses?

Aja

instead of having the classes at home, see if you can teach a night class at your local high school

i was just offered to teach an adult ed class at my town's high school and i'm still debating if i want to do it or not. it seems so cool though and would help push me towards becoming a crochet pro.

as for what to charge? hmmm maybe $20 per hour plus cost of supplies? most of the private music lessons i've had were $20 an hour plus the cost of books. the lesson could be an hour broken into two halves: 30 minutes of instruction followed by 30 minutes of crocheting and q&a.

• 4 weeks later...

Have you thought about getting certified? What I did was I took the CYCA course, then offered free lessons to make my volunteer hours. I have since learned that paid hours CAN count towards your hours, but it is still a good way to attract students. If they are in your home I would be cautious about strangers. I would put the word out amongst your friends and family and require that the student be sponsored by someone you know.

Another idea is to approach your local library. Some might have rules as to whether you can charge for classes, but it would probably be more casual than a paid course at say a Michael's where you have to sign a contract.

Or another idea is to put an ad in the paper for private classes, but meet at a public place, like the library or a coffee shop (check with the owners first) or a park.

The community ed here charges about $25 for 4 classes. I find that is very cheap, especially for the work entailed in a beginner's class. It depends on the economy of your area.

Any way you go, if you have some kind of certification (CGOA also offers a master degree) it may be an added attraction to the students. In lieu of that, in your paperwork, you could put "xx number of years experience crocheting" or "experienced crocheter, xx years".

Hope that helps.

If you have a Michaels or LYS that might be a good start as well :) The classes I teach at Michaels typically are one or two people...to be honest I'm not sure I'd want more people than that especially raw beginners as it's very intensive one on one time and hard to split between anymore than 2 to be honest.

I thought about teaching private lessons and probably will at some point, but with Michaels it benefits the students in a cheaper lesson fee ($15 for 2 hour class) and benefits me as I get my hourly wage for 2 hours plus the bulk of the lesson fee. So I'm getting right at $30 for 2 hours where I might have a hard time getting that from a private individual.

Plus you get a great employee discount lol

Archived