Classes

Ok I've been working on my class schedule for December at Michaels and I need some input. I'm thinking of doing a Pattern class... something for those that have crocheted but need help with patterns, how to read them.. the abbreviations etc etc.. along with just keeping up with a pattern and what all the symbols mean (* etc)... I'd like to do some other kind of different classes other than just "Beginning Crochet"... because well that title is just boooring. So I was thinking of doing a Marvelous Motif's class.. Dazzling Dishcloths.. etc. Maybe a class on Fabulous Filet Crochet.. get the idea? All this along with the beginning classes.

Would these kinds of class names grab your attention more than just a plain old crochet or knitting class? We could focus on one or two different things during class, talk about joining motifs, working in the round, edging etc. Filet crochet would be of course a simple filet pattern and how to read a graph.. maybe a class on graph patterns themselves and the symbols?

What say ye all? lol Any input would be appreciated.. taken home, loved, well fed and given a special place all it's own :hook:manyheart

Yep - I would like that sort of focused class. It's more appealing to me than "crochet basics". Is filet something for beginners? (I'm still intimidated to try!)

But snazzy names for a granny class, a dishcloth, ripple etc would be very appealing!

Yup that's what I'm hoping at least :)

The biggest thing with filet crochet.. and someone correct me if I'm off base with this lol.. is reading the graph. All it is is dc and chains.. it's not some big complicated stitch.. so with those basics, good tension and consistency and being able to read the graph (basically being able to count) filet crochet shouldn't be the booger that people.. myself included.. made it out to be before I'd done any of it lol I guess it would help to have some crochet experience, but it wouldn't be hard to teach to a newb wither I wouldn't think :)

I'm sure that I can do filet without too much trouble, but It's like counted cross stitch - absolutey beautiful in the end, but a long road to get there. I lose patience following a complicated graph pattern.

Maybe this is just my way of thinking, but if I were paying for a class, I would want to think I'm getting my money's worth in learning as much as I could. In my mind, if I saw you were doing a pattern reading class, I'd be thinking I know how to crochet, why do I need to pay someone to tell me how to read the pattern?

I don't know how this would work money wise for you, but the place I got my sewing machine offers a "free" mini class once a month where they focus on one technique or even how to use a new machine foot. They have a class limit and people sign up. They are teaching something, but they manage to promote their own products at the same time. Perhaps you could have a mini class on pattern reading or making a motif and let it be free for people who pay for multiple classes. Letting people think buy 2, get one free might make them sign up for more paying classes if you can afford the time. If you promote that Michael's sales the yarn, I wouldn't see how they would object to you using their space.

Again, I'm the kind who wants to get my money's worth. If I saw a class on dishcloths, there is no way I'd sign up. I would think it wasn't worth signing up just to learn one thing. Now, if you were having an advanced class and listed maybe 3 techniques you'd be teaching and I needed to learn them, I'd be tempted. I know one of the stores here has 4 or 5 levels of advanced painting classes, each teaching a limited number of techniques.

Now, if it were something I thought was truly above my skill level like some of the more advanced stitches which look complicated or maybe even learning something I would consider more challenging like maybe making and assembling garmets and I saw your finsihed product at the store, those are the kinds of specialized classes I'd sign up for.

There are many people who have trouble reading patterns and putting them into their crochet. I do think you would have a good turn out for something like that.

As for the other focused classes, I think it is a great idea. Be sure to write up guidelines such as: must be able to follow patterns, some experience needed, etc.

Good luck.

And where is this Michael's At?

:manyheart

Good points Shannon but I crocheted for years without being able to read a pattern and it's the number one problem I hear from people that know how to crochet.. but are stuck with things like scarves or afghans .. things they don't necessarily need a pattern for. They would like to branch out but simply are intimidated by the pattern itself. Those are the people I hope to reach.. I'm combining my knitting and crochet classes for this pattern class. Patterns are patterns.. gauge is gauge.. the only difference will be the abbreviations for each discipline :)

My main goal is to get people to expand their thinking away from the granny square or simple afghans, things that they may have learned years ago and have just gotten stuck in a rut :) I actually think one of my classes in December is going to be Snazzy Snowflakes.. I just wish I'd thought of it for November as well lol

Linda - I teach at Michaels in Prattville, Alabama :)

Archived