general rules for choosing yarn?

chenille4

Does it have to be 100% yarn, or can/should I use mixes? Is there a list of common feltable yarns?

Another question: If I were to mix another yarn or ribbon or something when working pattern, how would the non-wool material look?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Rebekah

Any animal fiber will felt. Make sure the label doesn't say "superwash" - it's been treated so it won't felt. You can use a blend of different animal fibers. Some felt better than others. Acrylic won't felt at all. I would do a 6" x 6" swatch of any novelty yarn/ribbon and whatever wool you want to use, then felt it to see how it will do. That's the only way you'll know for sure.

no, woolease is mainly acrylic and superwash...it will not felt! And yes, it can get pretty expensive. Patons Classic Merino wool, Patons SWS (soy wool stripes), and Lion wool are very good. Also check Knitpicks.com. The wool of the andes is a good bit cheaper than the other brands I mentioned. Hope that helps! :hug

Most blends will either not felt at all, or will felt much less than 100% wool. The exception seems to be Patons SWS (soy and wool blend) - people have reported that it seems to felt quicker and more than the 100% wool. One blend that you can use is Landscapes - because it is wool yarn strands wound around an acrylic core. With most other blends, the fibers are all blended together and then spun into blended strands.

If you want to carry a novelty yarn (like ribbon or eyelash) along with your wool yarn, the wool will felt and shrink, pulling the novelty yarn with it but you will still have some places where the novelty yarn will stick out in loops - but I like that effect...and isn't that the purpose of using the novelty yarn to begin with? The section where you add in the novelty yarn may not shrink as much either.

Best thing to do is to make some swatches.

Lately, my favorite yarn for felting is the Paton's Classic Wool. It's readily available at most large craft stores, it's relatively inexpensive. Michael's and ACMoore sell it for $4.99, and it is a large, 100gm ball. I usually use a 40% off coupon so it winds up costing about $3. I can get a good sized bag from one ball. It felts up very nicely... in my machne, one go around for about a 15 min. wash, and it's felted.

Joan

Archived