White Board in the class room

Ok had an idea.. to help understand a pattern and the different abbreviations, do you think a whiteboard would help some new students "get it" in the class room? I have one already, I wouldn't go buy one just for this reason, but wondered if it might help break down a pattern into recognizable parts and help with the abbreviations?

Wotcha think? :think

For a new student who might not remember what the abbreviations mean, I would think that would help them. If anything, it might help you as well. If you are busy with one student, maybe another could look up at the board to know what they need to do next.

I'd probably give it a test run for a class or two just to see if it would help. I certainly don't see how it could do any harm.

I found when I was just starting to read patterns that a sheet of paper with alll te abbreviations really helped...when I would get stuck I would just go back to my handy sheet! lion brand has really good diagrams as well as an abbreviation sheet :) you can't beat a good reference! Then again my gram taught me how to crochet when I was a young child and I just needed my sheets to refresh my memory...except abbreviations...those I didn't know, the hardes thing was matching the stitch to the abbreviation...maybe as you teach the stitch you could write the abbreviation on the white board...that way they will begin to read patterns right off the bat...I agree with CraftyShannon, give it a test run and see how things go

I've actually done up an abbreviation list.. not with all of them of course but with the most basic and common ones, along with a glossary of terms and some helpful tips. That's something every new crochet student gets :)

I have a class tonite with newbies.. I think I'll drag the white board just to see how it goes :) Thanks!

why don't you type up an abbreviation list that the students can take home with them? i learned how to read crochet patterns w/o the benefit of an abbreviation list and i figured it out. but now i have a few books with those lists and they come in handy, although i now have the majority of them memorized

you could use the white board to write down the new stitches they'll be learning that day. so that way they're not stuck searching the list if they can't remember

i should have read the post above mine >.< lol

hmmm you could use the board to draw charts on. i know that charts help me a lot, especially when a pattern is full or errors.

you could also use it to help demonstrate how to write a pattern. like have the class come up with their own pattern based on the stitches and techniques you know. have them brainstorm aloud and write down what they say on the dry erase board. then have them try the pattern.

you know... like in elementary school you'd brainstorm a story with the teacher as a class before you went to write it yourself.

That's a great idea!! And I'm guilty of not reading all the posts above mine as well lol don't worry o.@

I love charts.. I don't do them exclusively, but especially if it's a stitch series that I don't quite understand from the written pattern how it's supposed to look, the charts will show you right where the stitches go and how they *should* look :)

I have a class on Tuesday night, I'll drag my whiteboard with me and let you all know how it goes :)

Archived