I knew I shouldn't come here!

knikki

Dang it, I knew I should stay away from this area. Now I desperately want to try this.

My husband always says the he loves it when I make stuff, but crocheted hats are not warm enough for winter. Now i know the solution.

I know, from reading that you need ot make the item bigger before you felt it. I know to make a swatch, felt it and determine shinkage.

Now I need to find the right pattern. DO you think a normal beanie type stocking hat would work? He has to have his ears covered and likes things to fit close to this head.

If this works, he may get a fedora type hat in the spring! And i totally need a purse. Grrr....I'm addicted to felting and I have not even started a project yet!

Hey knikki! I hear you! I've just finished (i think) felting a big ol round bottomed tote that I plan to use as my "take along" bag. First, I tried very hot water and a potato masher (with the boundless energy of my 9 year old dd's help) in a dish pan in the sink...Not much results. Because my hot water is not hooked up to my washer right now (and I'm too lazy to do it tonight), I ended up pouring buckets of very hot water into washer with a pair of jeans. Little better results. Finally boiled the dang thing in my DH's lobster pot on the stove ( and prayed he'd stay in the other room), then ran it through a cold water rinse and spin. It is now resting over a 3 legged milking stool to keep its shape as it dries. If all else fails, I guess I'll have to hook up the hot water tomorrow. But it's exciting, wondering how something will turn out!

Felt on!!!!

Neicy

Liv:

sadly, I'm not overly pleased with the results, yet.. (Should have made that kid work harder!LOL) It didn't get any smaller, just a bit fuzzier, and softer. I made the bag really big, thinking it would "shrink", just like the wool mitterns I used to knit for the girls, but thinking back, those mittens would get wet then end up in the dryer...should I dare try popping it in the dryer for a few minutes? I wouldn't mind if it shrunk a little as I was counting on that as I cricheted it. As it is right no, it's entirely too big and too floppy to serve the purpose it was intended for. I think i will try again today. Stay tuned.

Liv:

I guess i have to try boiling the thing again! Thankfully, I just used scraps of wool that I found in my stash. I tried it again this AM, then threw it in the dryer. Still big and not nearly stiff enough to use it for what I had in mind, but I figure I can use it for a nifty overnight bag for when I do my night shifts.

It definitely was a learning process thiugh.

Dang it, I knew I should stay away from this area. Now I desperately want to try this.

My husband always says the he loves it when I make stuff, but crocheted hats are not warm enough for winter. Now i know the solution.

I know, from reading that you need ot make the item bigger before you felt it. I know to make a swatch, felt it and determine shinkage.

Now I need to find the right pattern. DO you think a normal beanie type stocking hat would work? He has to have his ears covered and likes things to fit close to this head.

If this works, he may get a fedora type hat in the spring! And i totally need a purse. Grrr....I'm addicted to felting and I have not even started a project yet!

Let me know if you find a pattern please...I want to make some too, but not sure how big to make it..a pattern would be a big help.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived