difference between aluminum hooks and steel hooks

Hi! I could be wrong but I'm almost positive aluminum are the ones that are the size you'd do for yarn (like B through J or K) and steel are the teeny ones for thread that are size 0-14ish. I know that the lettered ones are also sized in a number too, so... Anyway, does this help? I don't know how it is in other countries, or if there are steel large hooks, and aluminum small ones, but this is just what I've seen. Maybe someone who knows better will reply. :) Also, I think what the hook is made of is just whatever the user prefers. I mean, there are bone and wooden hooks out there too that are various sizes. I would think what they're made of will not make the end product different. Good luck!

Victoria

Since an aluminum size C is the same as, what, a 1(? I forget exactly.) It will work so far as gauge goes, I believe. But, at least in my experience, the tip of the hook is a bit more pointed (as is the crook) on a steel hook, so it splits both the yarn that you are grabbing more and the stitches you are working into. Not that it can't be used, but you have to pay a little more attention :U Hope this helps, and I'm sure there are people here with more experience than I on subject who will weigh in :U

This is my opinion, but the C hook I have is aluminum and when working with yarn it almost feels bendy if that makes sense. I think when working with small thread and hooks steel is much better. When aluminum gets that small it doesn't have much strength to it so it's not as sturdy...

This is my opinion, but the C hook I have is aluminum and when working with yarn it almost feels bendy if that makes sense. I think when working with small thread and hooks steel is much better. When aluminum gets that small it doesn't have much strength to it so it's not as sturdy...

I've noticed the same thing... I try to really watch how tightly I hold a C hook as well. It's a little disconcerting ;)

Archived