V-stitch increase

tawny

Question

I am working from a 1971 pattern. I cannot figure out how to "work in pattern until" completion of a few rows. It goes as follows:

Row 12-Ch5, dc in first dc, forming a V st, continue in pat st, ending with a V st in last dc. Work in pat until completion of Row 17. (The first V-stitch was the increase, the last V-stitch was the other increase in this row).

What I cannot figure is:

How do I start a V-stitch at the beginning of the new row in the V-stitch from the previous row without increasing? The pattern of the first 3 stitches in this new row is as follows: V-stitch, 2 double crochets (from previous row).

This is for a "Chanel-type" suit with a long V-stitch pattern.

Thank you!

8 answers to this question

Maybe, I'm just guessing... the first dc (ch 5, dc) is the increase, then you V-st in the v-st below, the first v-st... so the Ch5, dc is a v-st increase. Instead of doing the ch5, dc (v-st at beginning of the row) in a v-st, you do it in the first dc, which gives you a v-st increase.

Did that make sense?

I'm not sure if that's correct. before the increase row, did you ch-5, dc for the V-st at the beginning, but not in a dc, in the v-st? If so, then you would do that in the dc and do a v-st in the first v-st.

I hoped that helped...:think

Thank you, Debi.

The previous row's pattern is: 1 V-stitch, 2 double crochets, 8 more patterns, then ending with 2 double crochets and a V-stitch. This previous row was the increase (adding the V-stitch) and I do not increase until 6 rows later. I cannot figure how to start the new V-stitch in the next row, then have 2 double crochets. There should be no increase during this process. If I chain 5 and turn and double crochet in last dc, then I have increased.

Basically, how do I V-stitch at the end of row and begin the next row with a V-stitch? How many do I chain? Where do I insert the hook?

This is what I get from surfing vintage patterns from the internet! :blush

-Tawny

Here is the complete pattern row that I am stuck on:

Row 12 (Inc row): Ch 5, dc in first dc, forming a V st, continue in pat st, ending with a V st in last dc. Work in pat until completion of Row 17.

I am assuming that "Work in pat until completion of Row 17" means NOT to increase until row 17, which is another increase row. This is the beginning of the sleeve so if a increased every row until row 48 it would be much too large.

I believe work pat means no increase...

how do I V-stitch at the end of row and begin the next row with a V-stitch? How many do I chain? Where do I insert the hook?

At the beginning... ch 5, dc... sounds like you insert it in the last dc you made on the previous row, then you do a vst in the v-st.

At the end, dc, ch2, dc in the last st (top of ch 3 of previous rnd).

I hope that helps. If not maybe post the link to the pattern or the name or something so mabye someone who has made it can help more... it's hard without the pattern, but your discription of it has helped.

Debbi

The ch5, dc at the beginning of the row is the starting v-stitch. ch3 of the ch5 is the "replacement" for the beginning dc in most patterns and then the ch2 part is the top of the v-stitch, with the dc finishing the stitch.

When you turn and com back, you will work your last dc into the ch3 part of the beginning ch5.

Llinn

Tawny, you would turn, ch 5 and dc into the 2-ch space of the first V-stitch. As Llinn said, the 5 ch stands for 1 dc and 2 ch.

For the rest of the V-stitches you'd work (1 dc, 2 ch, 1 dc) into the space.

Smiles,

Thank you all! I also discovered that a V-stitch pattern row does not have "straight" edges. I have included a website with the visuals. Thank you for all your help, I can now continue with my "Chanel-type" suit. :yay I'll hopefully be proud enough of it to post it to the show-and-tell site.

http://www.woolcrafting.com/v-stitch-crochet-pattern.html

-Tawny

Archived