really basic question from a newbie

chenille4

I've been crocheting for years, but have never used beads. I'm considering using some to embellish a potential Christmas project. My question is this:

I understand that I string beads before I start, and then "pull them up into the stitch" as I need them, but at which point in the stitch do I include the bead?

I hope I'm making sense. Thanks for your help.

-Bekah

You make sense, I just don't have enough knowledge on it to help you, nor do I know where to send you for guidance...

I remember reading through a pattern (from where I do not recall:think ) and as far as placement of the beads it had you pull them up and work them into the stitch so they'd end up on what would be the front side... yeah, I realize that's no help... wish I could remember where I read that...

Have you tried a search for a bead crochet tutorial? Seems like everything else is out there, why not beads?

Good luck!

I insert the hook into the stitch, then slide a bead down so that it is snug, then I finish the stitch. The bead naturally goes to the back of the stitch. If you want the bead on the front, insert the hook from back to front to begin the stitch.

Carol Ventura

http://www.tapestrycrochet.com/

If you are crocheting a flat piece that you turn at the end of each row, then yes, you would do it on every other row. If you are crocheting a piece that spirals around, then use the technique whenever you want to place a bead on the front of the work.

• 1 year later...

Work in your beads when you're on the WRONG side of the item. Much easier. Work your entire stitch, then snug up a bead. Work a stitch, snug up a bead. If you're working a picot, work your chain, add your beads (most likely three) then picot in the designated stitch.

Ceck out Youtube. Put "crochet with beads" in the search.

Good luck!

Colleen

Archived