Oh, no--my thread doesn't exist anymore!

Wendy79

So I'm testing a doily for Kate, using some #30 thread that was in a stash I inherited from my MIL's MIL. And I thought, "I love this thread. I should get a lot more of it." Looked at the label... 35 cents for 250 yards? American Thread Company? This is some OLD thread! (Can anyone hazard, based on that price, how old it is?)

This is really beautiful thread--it's a medium blue/ pale blue/ ecru ombre. The ecru gives the FO a lovely vintage look (now I understand why... wonder if it even was ecru originally?). I haven't found anything similar in any of the online thread sources I know of; in fact, I didn't realize before how sort of rare #30 is in any color.

Anyone have any ideas beyond Lacis, HHTatting, etc? I'd really love to get some more. At the moment, I'm just hoping I have enough thread left after the doily's done to make myself a bookmark, for posterity's sake (looks like I will).

I just checked my thread collection and I have some Clark thread that sold for 35 cents. I found all of this at thrift stores so that might be a good option for you!

the company Halcyon http://www.halcyonyarn.com/Yarn_pages/yarn083.html

has a lot of different colored threads in the #30 - if you order the sample card it gives samples of all the colors and samples of all the weights - it costs $2, no S&H, for the card but the thread is definitely more than 35 cents;) ... but you might find the color you need!

Good luck!:yay

Hello Wendy 79,

I Sell Many Colors Of Size Us 30 (turkish Size 50) Threads, I Carry Two Brands, All Buyers Are Very Happy With Them, I Used Them Too. Check My Store

Demet

At that original price I'd say you would be looking at something from maybe the 1940s or 1950s. I have some old thread too that I inherited and I love so many of their color combinations. The one I am using now is a yellow / cream / brown combination that is really nice. I hope you have enough left to make that bookmark. I guess that's why sometimes I hate to use stash yarn. Once I do then it's gone!: lol

Archived