First Class Down.. Many To Go!

Well my first ever class at teaching crochet was last night and it was a hit, if I do say so myself. afro.gif We had 3 students sign up, but only two actually attended... one of which was a young girl probably 13 or 14 that was already pretty good, just needed help on her turns and counting stitches, and one an older lady who was anticipating grandbabies and wanted to be able to make pretties for them.. she had never picked up a hook before last night and before she left she was a good way into her first row on her blanket and getting better each time.

I'm so tickled, this was alot of fun and really something I enjoy. The Event Coordinator for another Michael's store in the area popped in and mentioned possibly picking up some classes there too until they found someone closer, so I may be doing classes there as well in beginning knitting and beginner to advanced crochet. yay_jump.gif

I've been surfing this morning looking at the Craft Yarn Council of America and the Crochet Guild of America sites and contemplating membership in both. I really want to take the instructor certification through CYCA and get that certificate as I think it will really help although I don't need it to tell me I know what I'm doing, but I imagine it would help with the credibility issues. Anyone taken the teaching course through CYCA?

I am really stoked about this and it's alot of fun and something I enjoy almost as much as the horses grin.gif I'm really glad I walked in that day and inquired about teacher positions. The looks on their faces last night as it "clicked" was just so worth it all grin.gif

Thanks! It was alot of fun, and it really made me think as well to be able to explain in terms they could understand as well as show.

I noticed reading this morning there was mention on CYCA about starting them on stitches on a swatch that is already started and that's actually what I did, which helped immensely as they didn't have to worry about that foundation chain right off the bat.. they practiced on those until they felt comfortable and then moved into their projects.. I let them decide when and they spent the better part of the class working on the swatches then started their own.. so got about 40 minutes or so to work on their own projects after over an hour of practice. I do think this made a HUGE amount of difference with them.

Gosh.. maybe there IS a reason I have all that scrap yarn back there! LOL faint.gif

It really is :) I'm contemplating on how to get more students signed up. I had thoughts of having a prize box, and say "Brenda" brings "Joann" for a class then Brenda's name will go into the box.. If Brenda brings one friend = 1 time in the box. If Brenda brings 3 friends, then Brenda's name will go into the box 3 times etc. Then at the end of a month draw out a name for a $25 gift certificate or something like that. If their friend brings someone then THEIR name goes into the box and so on... Anyone think this might work?

I thought it might work.. what about a stipulation that they have to attend X number of classes?

I'm really trying to think through ways to promote my classes and get more students interested lol

• 4 weeks later...

Local newspapers are a great way to get the word around. They are often looking for human interest stories. If you send them a good picture of you or your students in class (with everyone identified for the caption), then tell the paper why the students enjoy learning or why you enjoy teaching, the paper might include the picture with a caption, or they might interview you. You could also teach a project with a special theme that might appeal to the newspaper. Either way, it is free publicity! Good luck!

Carol Ventura

http://www.tapestrycrochet.com/

Local newspapers are a great way to get the word around. They are often looking for human interest stories. If you send them a good picture of you or your students in class (with everyone identified for the caption), then tell the paper why the students enjoy learning or why you enjoy teaching, the paper might include the picture with a caption, or they might interview you. You could also teach a project with a special theme that might appeal to the newspaper. Either way, it is free publicity! Good luck!

I don't know how your newspaper is set up, but our paper has a community section that comes out every Wedneday. They do a lot of profiles on small businesses, announces for store events (I have seen crafty things for A.C. Moore or JoAnn's), and all sorts of special interest stories. Just last week, there was a little story about Michael's having one of those Warm Up America events and it had a picture of the woman who teaching knitting and loom classes. (They currently do not have a crochet teacher. I have considered trying for that.) She announced her upcoming classes in that. Unlike an ad, this would be a free way to do this, especially since this particular section of the paper practically begs for people to send in news.

We have a couple of smaller papers here in town.. and I might be able to work in the Warm Up America angle in there as well.. I'll talk to my EC and see about getting something like this going.. thanks again! :)

Archived