Ponchos and things for school for homeless kids

Ro

Hi all!Well for a long time I have been trying to get in touch with the people at the Pappas school in Arizona. It's an amazing facility that schools homeless children. If you read their website, have Kleenex handy because you will need it. The busses drive all over to pick up the kids and then find their families at night...most of them have no shoes or anything when they show up there, they get two meals a day at school and at least two outfits of clothes...Well I was looking at a lot of single skeins I have around here and wondering if they could use some ponchos. After waiting months (they are very understaffed) I heard back from them today that they would be thrilled to receive anything like ponchos that people want to make.I am crazy thinking of making more charity stuff with two projects on my plate at the moment and also being sick as a dog but Ive waited ages to hear from them so I had to put the word out there. I'm not organizing anything big for this in that if anyone wants to make ponchos, scarves, mittens, hats, etc for elementary aged kids that you would send them directly to the school for their clothes closet. I am awating final confirmation on the best address to send the items to and will be willing to share with anyone who wants to send.These kids have nothing, the idea of making them something warm and pretty sure makes me smile, I hope it will for you too.Here's their website: http://www.tjpappasschool.org/ sorry my linky thingy isn't working for me at the moment.hugsRo

I have a few things I would love to share. Should I send them to you or do you have an address yet? Let me know whenever. :)

Ro,

Thanks so much for bringing this charity to our attention. I actually grew up here in AZ, and have never heard of them before. I will definitely help you out on this one. I will get some more people here in AZ to help out....please let me know if I can help more. I could drive there easily from where I live.

Hi everybody! I am sorry that I have neglected this thread, I've been so sick! Am on the mend now and finally getting my yarn back out!

They are really understaffed and so it takes a long time to hear back from them, so I am going to just suggest that everyone mail their items to the address listed on their "donations in kind" donation page, showing here. The lady Rexanne that is shown on that page is the one who emailed me so I am sure if you send your stuff there that they will get it!

If you're local and want to drop off in person, I don't know if they are staffed to handle that kind of thing and so I would recommend that you try calling the number on the page to talk to them to see if you can set something up.

Does my heart good to see people responding to this one! I have two ponchos I made before I heard back from them and I plan to get going on some more soon as I can. I hope that they will feel like a long-distance hug for the child, just letting them know how much someone cares about them :) Thank you all so much for caring!

hugs

Ro

Archived