dying for crochet

C.D.

Has anyone here looked into dying for crochet stitches? As a crocheter I do not like the "puddling" that certain/most types of yarn colorings do.

I know that space dying prevents a lot of this or using two yarns at opposite ends will kind of keep this from happening but I was hoping someone here would take up the challenge.

I am a crochet felter and want to have more choices in my process and not have the puddling effect in my finished pieces.

Thanks for listening.

Has anyone here looked into dying for crochet stitches? As a crocheter I do not like the "puddling" that certain/most types of yarn colorings do.

I know that space dying prevents a lot of this or using two yarns at opposite ends will kind of keep this from happening but I was hoping someone here would take up the challenge.

I am a crochet felter and want to have more choices in my process and not have the puddling effect in my finished pieces.

Thanks for listening.

Not sure what you mean by puddling? Pooling is maybe what you mean? I try to space dye so as not to get the pooling effect....however, there will be little segments where the colour will sort of change from one to another. My yarns tend to do mini-stripes when people knit socks from them because of it....if you look at my store blog, you will see how the yarns knit up....there's a partial sock at the top right now....LOL http://zenyarngarden.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Not sure what you mean by puddling? Pooling is maybe what you mean? I try to space dye so as not to get the pooling effect....however, there will be little segments where the colour will sort of change from one to another. My yarns tend to do mini-stripes when people knit socks from them because of it....if you look at my store blog, you will see how the yarns knit up....there's a partial sock at the top right now....LOL http://zenyarngarden.com

Sorry if I was not clear, I was talking about crochet stitches and the dying process so that it will not pool/puddle (I think are the same thing, right)? Both mean that the color ends up making distinct blotches? I am not a dyer so terminolgy could be off.

I was not wanting to dye my own yarn, I was aking if anyone has looked into the dying process for crochet stitches.

Do you think there are differences in crochet stitches and knitted stitches? I was thinking that, crochet stitches are more horizontal and use more yarn to complete the stitch and so that would seem that the dying of the yarns would need to be adjusted to accommidate this. Do you?

Choosing crochet as my medium I have been looking into how it works now and was just wondering.... I have the added element of felting and really am aware of the yarns dying and how I want it to look after the felting process.

Space dying is of course the best answer however, I really was wanting to see if anyone that is dying was thinking about crochet stitches and see a difference.

Thanks for repling and I hope I cleared up any confusion.

I don't always want the pooling or striping effect that many variegated yarns have. I've experimented a little with dyeing to avoid that, am crocheting it now, will post a photo soon.

Thanks for the reply. I hope you will post so I can see how yours turned out.

I would like to discuss your outcome and findings. I find this interesting.

Sorry if I was not clear, I was talking about crochet stitches and the dying process so that it will not pool/puddle (I think are the same thing, right)? Both mean that the color ends up making distinct blotches? I am not a dyer so terminolgy could be off.

I was not wanting to dye my own yarn, I was aking if anyone has looked into the dying process for crochet stitches.

Do you think there are differences in crochet stitches and knitted stitches? I was thinking that, crochet stitches are more horizontal and use more yarn to complete the stitch and so that would seem that the dying of the yarns would need to be adjusted to accommidate this. Do you?

Choosing crochet as my medium I have been looking into how it works now and was just wondering.... I have the added element of felting and really am aware of the yarns dying and how I want it to look after the felting process.

Space dying is of course the best answer however, I really was wanting to see if anyone that is dying was thinking about crochet stitches and see a difference.

Thanks for repling and I hope I cleared up any confusion.

Hi CD,

No problem on the confusion...I just wanted to make sure pooling was what you were talking about. Crochet stitches do indeed take more yarn than the knitted stitches. Crochet stitches are very much like bound off knit stitches. I've done both so I know they are comparable in some ways and crochet does definitely take more yarn than knitting.

The solution I would propose would be dyeing in gradiations of colours - it's hard to explain but basically it's yarn that varies in shades of colours but isn't space dyed so you don't get the pooling but rather, variations in the shade of colour. I think a one-colour yarn would work best - for instance, reds in varying shades would be pretty or blue even....so as not to get the pooling.

Hope that makes sense... :)

Hi CD,

The solution I would propose would be dyeing in gradiations of colours - it's hard to explain but basically it's yarn that varies in shades of colours but isn't space dyed so you don't get the pooling but rather, variations in the shade of colour. I think a one-colour yarn would work best - for instance, reds in varying shades would be pretty or blue even....so as not to get the pooling.

Hope that makes sense... :)

Roxanne,

Thank you for your reply. I will pass on your suggestions to someone that would take on the challenge to dye for crochet stitches.

Roxanne,

Thank you for your reply. I will pass on your suggestions to someone that would take on the challenge to dye for crochet stitches.

Well, CD, I can help you too...I do a lot of dyeing...just let me know what you're looking for...I'm happy to do custom orders. :cheer

• 2 weeks later...

Oh gosh, I totally forgot I have a crocheted FO in my gallery....LOL! Here's a scarf made from some of my handdyed sock yarn and as you can see, NO pooling....LOL

rusticrosescarf.jpg

And it was made from this skein of yarn:

rusticrose.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've had problems with pooling when crocheting printed yarn, too. What I've found with storebought yarn is that the color changes have to be very long (several feet, for stripes) or pretty short, like about 4" or less per color. Anything in the middle gets me into trouble. Having 4-5 colors also helps minimize the chance of resonance between the color cycle and row length.

Archived