First dyeing project a flop!!

yarnlover66

I was just having fun trying to dye my yarn with kool aid and it didn't work!!

I used purple (grape), red (strawberry) and green (lemon/lime). And last night the whole thing looked brown. This morning in the sunlight it looks like a variegated purple of sorts.

What went wrong??

Purple & yellow(or yellowish green) are really hard to get a varigation with because yellow & purple make brown. They sort of keep seeping together if you let them set for to long, making more brown & less of the individual colors.

Try setting the yarn out in the sun for a day or so to remove the color; it happened to some 'sun dyed' koolaid yarn I left out to dry too long. Then I redyed it. I still hated the color, but my stepson's girlfriend saw the color and LOVES it, so I know what I'm using for her Christmas present!

I was just having fun trying to dye my yarn with kool aid and it didn't work!!

I used purple (grape), red (strawberry) and green (lemon/lime). And last night the whole thing looked brown. This morning in the sunlight it looks like a variegated purple of sorts.

What went wrong??

How did you dye it? If you threw it all in a pot of water and added colours, the colours tend to mix and ya, the lovely brown will come out or the most dominant colour (purple) will come through...LOL If you handpaint it and nuke it then it tends not to bleed together especially if you can put it in a container that keeps the segments of colour separate.

Archived