Lining for felted bags?

Stacy25

I'm making a felted bag and wondered if I should add a lining?

I've made a smaller one before, and it works just fine without a lining, but I was wondering if a larger bag (read: holding lots more and heavier items) is more likely to stretch?

If I do add one, I add it after felting, right?

I have lined my purses with a heavy cotton material. I look for a nice, pretty cotton and then I wash it before I make the lining. Iron the material before you cut it out and sew it. Sew it in place with matching thread and it will be great. You can also sew in a pocket to put small items in (keys, wallet, etc. You can even put a zipper to keep things from falling out.

And always felt the purse first before lining it.

Look for some coordinating fabric on the sale tables. You will be surprised on how little you can pay. Especially now, because it is change of season time for the stores.

Good luck.

Linda:manyheart

Felted material usually holds its form very well, So if felted tight enough is should do just fine without a lining. Just make sure that after you felt the item that you take proper care of it when washing the piece (any felting book or even an artical in a crochet magazine will usually have detailed instructions on cleaning)or its taughtness may become a problem.

Tahna :elle

Archived