How to write crochet pattern

alexalex

Question

I know the symbol crochet chart , but I do not know the American/written crochet pattern very much. I am now designing some crochet patterns, and need to learn how to write. Could someone could tell me where to find resources about that?

4 answers to this question

There are tons of free patterns on the internet. Crochet Pattern Central is a good place to start. Just see how different designers write patterns and use that as a guide. Many patterns give a list of abbreviations they use. If the pattern uses a special stitch, they often give directions for doing that particular stitch at the top of the pattern.

Good luck!

Joan

Start small to practice, for example write down how to crochet a potholder or some other small object. I am no expert but here are a few tips:

1. Be consistent, meaning if you use d.c. use that all thru the pattern don't use dc or double crochet later in the pattern

2. Make good use of the ( ) and the * * symbols, these will save you a ton of repeat typing.

3. Check, check and recheck your pattern for accuracy.

4. Practice makes perfect

When I first started to write down patterns, I really stunk at it, but with the help of people (yes some were not so nice about it but there were alot that were very nice about it) I learned how to write it out.

Archived