Padding Cord for Irish Crochet?

kmd

The padding cord for irish crochet is normally 3-4 strands of size 10 thread held together. I normally fold 2 long lengths of thread in half and and wind them on a embroidery floss card, then I can release a small amount at a time as I need it. It doesn't tangle up that way. It takes a bit of practice learning to work over the padding cords , but it gets easier with time.

Hope this helps you. Irish crochet is wonderful..................:hook

Hmmm ... since I'm just starting out, I was hoping that there might be an easier way. I'm thinking that working on top of a cord is different enough, without holding 3-4 strands together ... I wonder whether just some wool yarn might work?

Hmmm ... since I'm just starting out, I was hoping that there might be an easier way. I'm thinking that working on top of a cord is different enough, without holding 3-4 strands together ... I wonder whether just some wool yarn might work?
You might try some size 5 or size three thread. But you normally need to fold it in half to anchor it at the beginning of your work, so you will be carrying 2 strands.

I don't think I would use wool as it has fuzzies and would work it's way through the thread and make your piece less than attactive. And after all your work that would be a shame.

Archived