felting question

xampx

IM making a small envelope bag and im going to felt it but i need to know whether i should sew the sides up before or after felting. I dont want it to felt shut.

Does that make sense? Any help would be appreciated, thanks

AM

I felted the fit-to be tied bag from Snb HH after I sewed the sides together & worried about the same thing. I kept checking but it never happened,& turned out just fine. I'd keep an eye on it but I'm thinking it shouldn't be a problem. The seams kind of dissappear after felting so I prefer to do them first, and get a cleaner look since my sewing is wobbly.;)

I sew the seams before I felt... like the previous poster said, they sort of disappear. I think it would be difficult to sew together neatly after felting? I've never had the purse felt together.

Joan

Great, well i did think that if i sewed them together afterwards it wouldnt look right and the holes would be harder to find. So thats good, il sew it up tonight and try and nab the washing machine at some point over the weekend. IT should need a couple of washes because i used a huge hook :)

Thank y'all

Sew the seams first and then just keep checking on the item as you felt it. If you find that the item is starting to felt together you can stop the washer and pull it apart. I did not do thay yesterday and had 1 item that I felted felt together, the other items were fine. so it could have been the type of yarn I was using or the fact that I was felting items that were very small! I am making some knit kitty cats that are only going to be 3 inches tall or so.

Archived