Comprehensive Kool Aid Dying

xampx

Hi Everyone.

Ive had my Kool Aid for what seems like a month now, and I havent been able to use it as my boyfriends mum will complain at the mess im making in her kitchen (yet its ok for the cats to sit where our food is prepped yuk!)

But she is going into hospital for a minor op on her legs tomorrow which means she wont be out of bed for most of the weekend so :cheer NOW IS MY TIME! :cheer

I was going to go out and buy white vinegar tomorrow but i wanted to make sure i dont start this and find that i forgot something, so what i would like is a list of everything (utensils and ingredients) that i will need to dye my wool on saturday:

So far i have:

Kool Aid - about 18 packets in different colours

Wool - 100% lambswool

White vinegar

Water (doh!)

How many bowls/pans will i need? Im planning on doing about 5 50g balls

That would depend on how many colors you plan to use. You'll need a container for each color. Are you doing solids or striping/varigating the colors? I do solids in one big pan, but when I did stripes I put the koolaid in small containers and dripped it on with an eyedropper while the yarn was spread across the table on plastic wrap. Don't forget the wrap!

Im going to make solid colours and il probably do 100g(3.5oz) in each of three colours

Il do them one after the other so i need one plastic? bowl to presoak, one pan or heatproof glass dish to do the dying with

i guess the stirrer needs to be plastic too?

Plastic or an old chopstick would be a good stirer. Don't forget plastic gloves unless you don't mind the just dyed look. If it gets on your skin I find a mixture of baby oil and liquid soap seems to help get it to fade faster. You can soak the wool in the same pan you dye it in; or use different ones. I've also used the 'soaking solution' of vinegar and water to dissolve the drink mix. Are you going to microwave the items or put them outside to sun dye? I did that last weekend, and have lovely results. I think you could wrap stuff up in plastic and set in the sun too, same principle.

Happy Dyeing

ive never heard of sun dying? Its been in the 90s this week but its back in the 60s and 70s now so i dont think sun dying will be an option.

I was planning on simmering it like i saw in a tutorial on here

When I did mine, I didn't use vinegar. I've seen plenty of references that say you don't need it. Kool-aid is way acidic on its own. It worked fine, so you can cut that out next time if you want. Supposedly it won't hurt it, though.

Also, I used sandwich baggies on my hands instead of gloves because I'm cheap.

• 6 months later...

Archived