can yarn be mixed??

Calypsobard

I'm working on attempting my first felting project. Just a bag with an alien head. Only problem is the green wool I've found is just a bit darker than what I want. Can I mix it with like green eyelash yarn or fur yarn? What about acrylic??

Also, does the wool part of Lion brand Woolease felt in anyway??

Thanks for your wisdom!!! :D

Yes, you can use fun fur type yarn with a wool project but that portion will not felt. I made a tote bag set awhile bag doing that very thing. For the trim I used fancy fur while holding a strand of wool. After felting, it resulted in the fancy fur really "popping" out which was a neat effect.

As far as wool ease goes, it won't felt. It really needs to be 100% wool for it to work. There's no enough "wool" in wool ease for it to work. I once used Landscapes by Lion Brand to felt which is like 20% acrylic and 80% wool or something like that. It was actually a strand of acrylic and a strand of wool wound together so when I felted it, the wool shrunk and the acrylic didn't which resulted in a marbled effect. Really cool...

Hope this helped!

I once used Landscapes by Lion Brand to felt which is like 20% acrylic and 80% wool or something like that. It was actually a strand of acrylic and a strand of wool wound together so when I felted it, the wool shrunk and the acrylic didn't which resulted in a marbled effect.

I have some 90% wool (10% acrylic) but it doesnt look spun, its Jaeger Nobo i think. Do you think id get the marbled effect with that?

I've used 1 strand of the fun fur types of yarn held together with 1 strand of 100% wool yarn and the entire body of the item shrinks, it just makes the fun fur pop out like one earlier poster mentioned. Can't comment definitively on the wool you're asking about, but I would think it would have a mottled effect or textured effect, and would shrink normally. Have you tried felting a sample swatch? That's the best way to gauge the shrinkage % as well as the final textural effect. It's well worth the effort, imo.

Debbie

I used some of Caron's ribbony stuff, held along with the wool, and topped my SIL's bag with that. It came out very cool. Good luck with experimenting.. and post pictures please. :hook

What you can do is crochet a swatch and felt that to see what the felted effect would look like. I know, swatching is a pain, but with felting I think you really need to swatch to find out if it felts the way you want it to. Also I have foudn that if you mix different brands of wool yarn they won't felt the same. and it seems like white wool yarn doesn't felt as nicely as other colors.

Archived