Snowflake Hooded Cape question! Help!

Rosie

Question

Hi! Please help! I'm making the Snowflake Hooded Cape and I just have the edging left to do. It's really beautiful! I just don't understand the edging instructions:

With right side of garment facing you, join another ball of yarn at neck edge in 1st st of hood. Skip starting ch 3 of 1st row, * 3 dc, picot (ch 3, slip st through 1st st of chain--picot made) 3 dc in ch 3 of next row. Repeat from * around edge of hood.
At the 3 dc which I have bolded, that means one dc in each stitch, not 3 dc all in one stich (like a shell), right? Also in the part where it says:
slip st through 1st st of chain,
that means the chain on the hood, right? And not the chain I have just made? Thank you so much for your help. I've tried it a couple ways and I'm just not sure what is correct. :manyheart

6 answers to this question

Hi! Please help! I'm making the Snowflake Hooded Cape and I just have the edging left to do. It's really beautiful! I just don't understand the edging instructions: Quote:

With right side of garment facing you, join another ball of yarn at neck edge in 1st st of hood. Skip starting ch 3 of 1st row, * 3 dc, picot (ch 3, slip st through 1st st of chain--picot made) 3 dc in ch 3 of next row. Repeat from * around edge of hood.

At the 3 dc which I have bolded, that means one dc in each stitch, not 3 dc all in one stich (like a shell), right? Also in the part where it says: actually I am interpretting this to be all in one stitch...the 3dc,picot,3dc.....Quote:

slip st through 1st st of chain,

No this would be the 1st st of the chain you just made because that is the PICOT stitch.....the parentheses is giving instructions to perform that particular stitch. It actually comes out looking like a little "bump" on the top of your dcs....

that means the chain on the hood, right? And not the chain I have just made? Thank you so much for your help. I've tried it a couple ways and I'm just not sure what is correct. :manyheart

:cheer The 3DC instruction would be into the next 3 stitches, then a picot, otherwise your picots would all be too close together.

Is it a US DC or an English DC?

Edgings with picot are usually done with a US SC or an English DC.

Yell if you need more help.

I will look in again in the morning.

I am off to bed now as it is 11.33pm Saturday 17th and freezing cold.

Night night.

Colleen.:hug :hug

PS I looked at the pattern and see the answer for myself.

It is a US pattern and what you are doing is working into the ends of the rows around the face edge of the hood, making groups of 3DC into each row end, with a picot in between or at least that is how I read it.

Some of the row ends are CH 3 form the start of each row, so that is why it is saying to work 3DC into the CH3 SP.

I did not say to really study the pattern but I think that is how it goes.

I will have another look in the morning.

Hi Rosie!

I agree with Tricia; it's hard to see from the photo because the hood isn't clear, but I think what you're being asked to do is a shell of 3 dc, picot, 3 dc into the chain-3 space. As she said, the (ch 3, slip st through 1st st of chain--picot made) is the instructions for the picot.

I'm pretty sure this is right because if you read further down the pattern, the edging instructions for the sides and bottom of the cape use (4 dc, picot, 4 dc) and (5 dc, picot, 5 dc) and there they are referred to as "shells".

Smiles,

Thank you, everyone, for your help. I knew C'Villagers would come to the rescue. That makes sense to do it into the ch3 space, even though I don't think that was specifically stated on the pattern. I'll let you know how it turns out!

I am on the edging now as well and I completely don't understand it. I know how to do a picot and all of that but how to start it is where I'm confused. Helpp! Please! :)

I have not made this pattern, but I think I can help.

By this point you should have the hood.  The edge of the hood has the ch-3 turning chains of each row facing forwards.  

>With right side of garment facing you, join another ball of yarn at neck edge in 1st st of hood.  Skip starting ch 3 of 1st Row, * 3 dc, picot (ch 3, slip st through 1st st of chain--picot made) 3 dc in ch 3 of next Row.  

Because it says to "skip the starting ch 3 of the first row", it looks like you slip stitch into the the same stitch that you started the hood (the "neck edge").  Then you [dc 3, picot, dc 3] in the following ch-3 space and each ch-3 space around the hood.  By skipping the first ch-3 space (just after where you joined on to the neck/hood junction), you are forcing the shell to fan out.

Archived