Blanket Help

LoveHime

Question

I'm taking on a big taks by creating my first blanket using blocks. I am having a small problem with keeping the blocks all the same size and I was begining to wonder if it would become a problem later on if some of them are like a 1/4th of an inch of when I sew them all together.

:sew

2 answers to this question

Hello LoveHime

If it's a very tiny difference, a good blocking when you've finished all the squares will probably sort that out.

Are all the squares the same pattern and colour, or are some of them different? There are little "cheats" you can do, such as adding an extra round of sc to bring a square up to size, or using hdc instead of dc on the last round to make it slightly smaller -- but you obviously wouldn't want to do this if all the squares are supposed to look the same.

As you go along and make more blocks and get used to the pattern, you might find your gauge settles down and you need to change hook size from what you originally thought.

Brave you for taking on a big project like this! I'm sure it will turn out lovely.

I made a baby blanket out of four colors of Simply Soft, and two of the colors were smaller than the other two. I worked an extra row of sc around the smaller blocks and it worked out fine. It didn't mess the pattern up, and was hardly noticeable.

Archived