How to write down your ideas in pattern form

Help!!! :eek

I have come up with the cutest idea for a scarf but haven't a clue on how to write it down. Can anyone help me with this?? It is a really cute idea and I want to share!!

Thanks

Heidi

:manyheart

Heidi

Just use the abbrevations for crocheting and write it down as you go.. what is your starting chain number just write it out like it is when you read a pattern.. It is easier then you think it is. Hang in there you will get the hang of it. If you don't knowall the stitches and the abb for them you can find them on the Annies Attic web site to the left of their screen there is a stitch help section just click on that .. hope that helps...Don't forget you chain 1 or whatever at the ends of the rows.

Good luck

Hi Darlene,

Well, as a certified (and yes, I definately should be) technical writer, there are a few hard and fast rules to writing good pattern instructions.

1. Be accurate - test test test and then test some more - get other people to test to make sure that your instructions are clear and that you aren't "guilty" of interpreting what you're saying so that other people can't get it

2. Give a gauge swatch and take a picture, especially with difficult sections. I can't tell you how many internet patterns I've given up on that don't give gauge. If it doesn't have a picture and give gauge I don't do it anymore - it's not worth my time

3. List your hook sizes in US and Canadian sizes. I can't tell you how irritating it is to try to figure out what a size F is, when in Canada we don't go by letters, we go by millimeters

4. Use common terms - don't re-invent the wheel. We have international symbols for a reason. That being said, if you're in the UK, your stitches are different than in North America. Indicate that in your pattern

5. Check out this site for information on point #4 http://www.yarnstandards.com/

6. At the end of each row, tell your users how many stitches they should have. Nothing worse than doing 10 rows more and realizing you don't have the right number of stitches.

Hope that helps, feel free to contact me offline for more info if needed.

That is very helpful, actually. Thank you. I'm having difficulty writing down the pattern for the gold top I made ( http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25567 ), especially trying to make it for different sizes. Especially since I frog a lot. My notes look so messy. And the different sizes mean different numbers of stitches at the end of each row. *sigh* This is hard work.

I try to remember that since these are instructions then they should sound like I'm talking to the person, guiding them through the process. Don't be afraid to add notes like "at this point the garment should look like a square" or "now you will be making the cuffs", etc. The industry abbreviates like crazy because of publishing constraints. If you want to abbreviate only the most common stitches that is o.k. and may help the pattern be even clearer.

Hope that helps and have fun!

:bounce

I find it useful to use a mini tape recorder. That way I can just say what I'm doing and write it out later... no need to put the hook down or try to decipher my scribbles later on. They have neat ones that are voice activated. I just say "ok" to turn it on so I'm sure not to say "10 dc" and have it turn on just to get "dc" LOL!

Brandon:blush

Help!!! :eek

I have come up with the cutest idea for a scarf but haven't a clue on how to write it down. Can anyone help me with this?? It is a really cute idea and I want to share!!

Thanks

Heidi

:manyheart

Archived