SNB HH "Cold Shoulders" Gauge

eyenowhour

Question

I have a question about the SNB Happy Hooker Capelet pattern called "Cold Shoulders" on page 110. I checked the errata page and there was not information on it.

The gauge says 10 sts and 4 rows dc = 4". It uses mohair yarn and a size "I" hook.

Does this seem wrong to anyone else? I've never used mohair, but I'm pretty sure it's NOT a thick yarn. I'm actually using Simply Soft to make the capelet and was trying to figure out the gauge. I made the "Knot Ugly Shrug" using the same yarn and had to use an M hook to get 5 rows dc = 4" (The book called for an L hook, so my crocheting wasn't that bad, I guess). It's a really cute capelet and I know it won't look the same since mine won't be in mohair, but could that be a typo? Maybe it's supposed to be 10 sts and 4 rows = 2"? Usually when I crochet using an I hook, I think that's probably about the gauge I get.

2 answers to this question

Mohair works up like that. The fuzziness makes it act like a bulky thread (for guage) if you use a big enough hook.

Good luck on your project!:manyheart

I agree, I've used an 8mm hook with mohair that weight, and the fuzziness knid of matts together, and keeps it all together.

Yeah, and please post a pic when you're done!

I'm dying to make that capelet, but I have lots of birthday pressies to do, and I'm halfway through a deep purple Prepster jacket. I'm fighting the urge to rush down to the yarn store and get some mohair for it now - I'd love it in grey!

Oh no, the more I look at it, the more I want to make it to wear tonight! I'll let you all know how well I fight temptation :blush

Archived