making border even

sandyrepope

Question

I've just finished a small blankie using double crochet. I usually do these with single crochet and have found that I'm having a problem.

I'm trying to put a shell border around it. How do I do this and get the border even? What's giving me trouble is where to insert the hook as I go down the side. It just doesn't look right and I don't have any ideas about what to do.

Thanks

What I mean about the border not being even is that the stitches aren't coming out evenly spaced.

6 answers to this question

You should put a round of single crochets around the border, then your row of shells. You should put 2 sc's in each dc row, then 1 sc along each of the top and bottom, then do your round of shells.

Does that help?

You should put a round of single crochets around the border, then your row of shells. You should put 2 sc's in each dc row, then 1 sc along each of the top and bottom, then do your round of shells.

Does that help?

I had been wondering about this very same thing. I knew there must be a formula...count on our wonderful Queen Mo to know it.

So let's detail it...

When you are working the edge that is the side of the stitch will it be:

1 stitch for sc?

2 stitches for dc?

3 stitches for tc?

What about hdc?

And my second question...on the edge that is the side of the stitch, where do you put the stitch? Right into the stitch between the twists of it or all the way around the stitch in the space between that stitch and the next stitch?

I had been wondering about this very same thing. I knew there must be a formula...count on our wonderful Queen Mo to know it.

So let's detail it...

When you are working the edge that is the side of the stitch will it be:

1 stitch for sc?

2 stitches for dc?

3 stitches for tc?

What about hdc?

And my second question...on the edge that is the side of the stitch, where do you put the stitch? Right into the stitch between the twists of it or all the way around the stitch in the space between that stitch and the next stitch?

I do as you say above, and for hdc you could do either 1 or 2 depending on how tightly or how loosely you crochet. I do 1 because I crochet very tightly. And I go around the entire stitch, and not "into" it. Into it would be confusing, and hard to space evenly. Just my 2 cents worth:P

Thank you, Sparkles.

My only hesitation to putting the border stitch all the way around the edge stitch is that it effectively looses the edge stitch...but it does look better.

Funny how you can crochet for years and just have these little areas that you feel you are "fudging" and doing what seems right or looks right rather than what is "by the book". But then, if it looks right...it really is right. Right???

Archived